I need help. Our 8 year old son can not stop lying, talking back and acting up. HELP!

None of the punishments we do seem to make any impact. We make him write sentences, copy the dictionary, spank, take away tv, toys, games, etc and the point just doesn't get across to him.
The other day, I was at work and my husband called me saying that he was in his room watching cartoons and he smelt something burning so he ran upstairs and he was melting a hotwheels track, a ruler, water bottle cap, and seat cushion! He found one of my husbands lighters somewhere. He knows not to play with them!
He has had problems in school from peeing everywhere but the toilet in the school bathroom, to licking books during class and just acting up.
He lies about everything.
And purposely hurts his 4 year old brother for no reason!!!!
We have tried everything we can think of but the point just doesn't get across. Right now he is writing 1000 sentences "I will not play with Fire" he keeps fooling around instead, getting in more trouble!

rockabillymom54

Asked by rockabillymom54 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• oh mommy... I have no advice but wow -good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Not to sound harsh...but have you considered having him evaluated by a doctor???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yea we've looked into child therapy but we can't afford it and our insurance wont cover it. He went to a doctor a few years back about it. The doc said he has ADHD and wanted to prescribe Ritalin him but I'm not about to give that to a young kid.
    rockabillymom54

Answer by rockabillymom54 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I hate to suggest this but when I was younger, there was a catholic school for troubled boys that a kid in my school ended up going to. It was a m-f boarding school and they had some really good results. Might want to look into it. I know they had ways to apply for aid for paying for it too because that is what took so long in getting this kids in. After a couple of years there he returned to normal school a changed child. They challenged him and made him WORK off excess energy and he had very little unstructured time alone. Goodluck, it sounds like he is a handful.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We've looked into that and we can't afford it even with financial aid. Most schools wont take him until age 12.
    rockabillymom54

Answer by rockabillymom54 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 5yo was having some similar issues, that have gotten a lot better after 3weeks of school. But I did order the book "Skills Training for Children with Behavior Problems" after reading this article http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/News/Executive-Function-Part-Six-Training-executive-function.aspx?articleID=8177&categoryID=news-type.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Sounds like he needs some counseling and an evaluation for behavioral disorders. Talking back,lying things like that are completly normal for the age. Getting pleasure out of hurting people and destroying things is not.
    lvnmylif

Answer by lvnmylif at 2:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009