How many other moms wipe the shopping cart with a antibacterial wipe before putting their kid in it?

I use to use the protective seat covers....

But she got a bit big for that...she is 4. But I still use a antibacterial wipe and clean the handles and seat for her.

Trying to avoid as many germs as we can!

But I noticed today at Walmart, that not many people do this. Do they not realize how many nasty people have their hands on that cart all day?

GROSS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You got a mom here that does that....

and....in the winter when many are sick...

I will spray the cart with Lysol......
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Thats not a bad idea Dannee!!! Might try that ! ;)

Do they make tiny bottles of Lysol? THEY SHOULD :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I do that...but then when we check out they transfer the groceries to a different cart....disgusts me!!! How do I know if that one is clean or what kind of cooties are on it? I would love to believe that disinfecting everything helps, but honestly we are all subjected to so many germs everywhere we go that it is impossible and I will turn myself into a neurotic mess...I am trying to be less OCD about it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Not sure if they have little bottles...it would probably cost 3 times more than the
    bigger one...

I keep a bottle in my car...

Some people think I am nuts....but I don't care ::))
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My kids are too big but I always wipe the cart handle or basket handles. Seems useless though once the products are checked through on the gross conveyor belt thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I totally do that. Thank goodness the grocery stores I shop at provide antibacterial wipes right next to the carts, so i don't even have to bring them, YAY! I just wipe the handle/top part all down, where I put my bag, so I don't touch anything yucky. And while I'm doing that at least four or five people will have walked in and grabed a cart w/o wiping it off(yuck) and they look at me like I'M the crazy one! Nope, I'm the clean one!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think its alittle crazy, you know how many people touched the items you touch or do you spray that too? Everything you touched has been touched by someone else. What do you do when you go to the doctors where sick people are, who sat in the seat you are sitting in? Yes, grems are gross and scary but if you are never around them or try and avoid it you can get sicker because your body isnt use to them. JMO
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I never did that. I have 3 kids, the oldest is 14. They are all fine. You can't disinfect everything. They won't build an immunity.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The thing is you have to wait a few minutes after you wipe for germs to be killed. Even if you use spray like Lysol.

I have immune deficiencies and I shop at times when few people are in the store. I use throw away glove you can get at the dollar store. My grandbaby has just been diagnosed with immune deficiencies. What's probably best is not to put the child in the cart. We might do something like use a stoller and cart when we have to take him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Do you also wipe down all the toys at the park when your children play there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009