what to do??

So i moved from VA to FL about a month ago. In VA I made $18.50 pr hour, and prob could have been making more. I have been looking for a job here, but having difficulties finding a good one with good hours ect. I am a LPN. There is a job that I REALLY wanted, but now they are talking like $11 hr, because its a new office and yada yada..even though they raved how impresed they are by me. It is WAY below what I konw I could potentially make, and I am a single mom so hard to see survinving on that. They want me to come in tomorrow to meet the head doc and maybe get hired.... BUT I am down to $40 in the bank and 1 month into the 2 months I asked my aunt if we could stay with her...... would you take it??

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Take the job. But still look for a better job. But do not tell your job your still looking. It's none of their business.

Answer by louise2 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes i would try to negotiate up and accept if they offer a lower amoun then keep looking. At this point something is better than nothing.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• check out salary.com You can put in your zip code and job title and get a ball park range of what you would be making. I think you can also compare cost of living between VA and FL.

If there are a lot of job offered in in paper and you think you should be making more, I would hold off taking the job. You could also try negotiate. Good LPN's are hard to find.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 3:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i did the salary.com thing
    prob is not being able to work just any kinda shift ect as a single mom and in a shitty enconomy, im kinda having probs finding something full time

i have excellent recomendation letters from my employer in VA so I know that is not it, and I hav had a few ooo and ahh me....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Welcome to Florida. The state where your education and experience means nothing in regards to pay. ANY job is better than NO job when your back is against the wall dear.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'd take it and then keep looking. Just make sure that if you get a different job you give them at least 2 wks notice.

Also you might try neg. with them. Maybe a dollar more to start out. Then like after 30 days another raise and then 60 ... so on and so forth. Sometimes it's better to get paid a little less for something you may enjoy more.
    My thinking is that once they get more clientel AND once they see that you're as good as your resume I wouldn't see why they wouldn't give you more. You just have to be frugal for the moment.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It is SOO much easier to find a job when you have a job. You arent in a position to be picky at the time, so take it small income is better than NONE! so when you get hired continue to look for a different job, in the meantime good luck with everything, hopefully your aunt will let you stay.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Have you signed up with registries?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Like most of the other moms have said, I'd take the job and keep looking for something that will pay higher. Something is better than nothing, even if it is a little something.
    meganmaughan

Answer by meganmaughan at 1:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2009