Do you punish your child for things they already got in trouble for at school?

My stepson is 6 - he got in trouble today for hitting a kid in the eye with a rubberband. He lost his recess priveledge at school today as punishment. Would you also impose a punishment at home for bad behavior? I mean, he's been sent home with a note for bad behavior before in which case he is punished, but I only know about this because he told me....thoughts?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes I would.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would probably NOT sense he told you. Otherwise he will learn that he needs to keep things from you. Instead of discipline i would ask more questions about the full situation and try to teach him OTHER things he could have said or done instead of hit his "fiend". Even acting things out helps children to understand.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I should add that when/if my child comes home with a note from school, or i hear it from the teacher that he got in trouble ...then yes, he gets in trouble at home too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes I would...just because he got in trouble with the teacher, the parent needs to reinforce it at home as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• you always have smart answers outstandinglove
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would have a good talking too, and reiterate what the teacher said, taught them other ways about it, and such. Sometimes, you can help your child see other points of view, he already had his recess taken away, I would just talk to him about it, ask him if he already apologized, if not, ask him to apologize.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No recess at school, none at home.

He told you, so make it a lighter punishment...maybe a day earlier he gets priviledge back at home.

If he doesn't tell you and you find out some other way, that's the same as lying and he gets punished for lying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes grounded for a week
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I do.
    momluvsmatt

Answer by momluvsmatt at 12:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2009