WW or ATKINS?

I really NEED to lose weight. It's not even an option anymore. I'm a single mom with a hectic scheduele and I love food. I need to get fit and lose weight for myself and my kids. What is your preference? WW or Atkins?
Success stories...advice..anything!

MommyEJB

Asked by MommyEJB at 4:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• i would do weight watchers. it's a lil more healthier, i've heard too much backlash about the atkins diet i just don't trust it. currently i'm looking to lose weight also and i'm thinking weight watchers or jenny craig. wish you luck in your weightloss
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I did the Atkins Diet and it did work extraordinarily well but isn't an enjoyable long term diet and the weight does leap back on it your will power breaks. Weight Watchers gets slower results but is SO very much better - healthier eating habits, dieting buddies (thanks to their groups) and realistic LONG term weight loss without any horrible side effects (Atkins give you bad guts & bad breath). Go for WW. Happy dieting. Mama.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 4:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• South Beach is a healthy diet similar to Atkins, why not try that? You eat plenty of fresh veggies and lean meats and dairy, you eat healthy snacks and don't get hungry, there are no special foods to buy and you don't need to worry about the weight coming back on when you quit unless you go on a binge for weeks. You're teaching yourself healthier eating habits for life. You're not starving your body of anything it needs although it will crave carbs during the first few days of the low carb phase. Once you're past that it's a breeze.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I did weight watcher and it was really good it helped me get started but it cost money and right now just isn't the time for me to be spending extra that I could use. I would suggest sparkpeople.com. Someone suggested on here and I love it. Its almost exactly like weight watchers only the site counts everything for you. You can get a diet plan and a fitness plan and it even shows you how to do the exercises. You can blog, meet new people, recipes, track how many glasses of water you drink.... JUST EVERYTHING lol its so cool. :) Good luck on your journey!
    babyelqutob2

Answer by babyelqutob2 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Weight Watchers. I lost like 25lbs on it and never gained it back.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thanks girls, And I totally forgot about Jenny Craig and SB diet, mostly because I have no idea how they work.
    MommyEJB

Answer by MommyEJB at 8:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Diets and diet aids are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I did Jenny Craig and it worked very well for me. The food is prepared in the beginning so you learn what a portion size is by practice and it is very convenient. It also tastes good.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Definitely Weight Watchers. Atkins is such a temporary fix, that even if you lose some weight, it will come back really easily since you put your body all out of whack. Weight Watchers is slower, but much healthier. It will also stabilize your metabolism so when you do slip up, you won't instantly gain all the weight back. I lost 45 pounds with WW after my oldest son was born, and ever since then, even when I eat out all the time and eat like crap for a week straight, I don't instantly gain weight like I used to. Ever since I had my youngest, I haven't really been good about my diet, so I still try to have a general idea of how many points I'm eating. Even being more aware of what's in your food gets you to make healthier choices.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009