Moms that are bf...

My baby was born last Fri & I've been bf exclusively(sp?). I was told to feed every 1-3 hrs, but my baby sleeps pretty much through the night, & I feel bad waking her up to feed her! She doesn't cry that much when she does wake up & I usually change her diaper & then feed her. & if she seems like she needs to be soothed or is hungry, I put her on!! Even if I just fed her 30mins ago. Should I be waking her up during the night to eat? She seems happy, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for my baby girl...Thanks moms!!!

mandi0986

Asked by mandi0986 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was the same way for about a week or two, I did NOT wake him. But with in a few weeks he started to wake to feed. I have heard of a few moms and experts that say wake them, and just as many that say DONT wake them. I wish I had something more concrete for you, I think you will get a mix of answers on this one. Just letting you know, you are not alone and chances are it will not last long.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I never woke my babies. As long as she's having enough wet diapers and is gaining weight and seems happy you're good to go!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Do you have a pediatricians visit coming up? Or can you weigh her yourself at home? If she's gaining weight like she should, the dr might tell you not to worry about waking her up to feed her. I think it's important to feed on demand and that sounds like what you are doing even if she's not waking up every 1-3 hrs. Sounds like you have a good sleeper, enjoy it!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i was told by the doctor if its time for her to eat wake her. i did so for about 6-8 wks now i just let her tell me when she is hungry.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• oh and i forgot to add make sure she is having wet and dirty diapers i forgotthe exact number she is suppose to have. i suggest discussing it with her pediatrician. oh...yayy for breast feeding :)
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I was told by my pedi that if the baby is hungry she'll wake up - there's no reason to wake up a baby - my dd was a good sleeper right off too. I would let her sleep, but honestly after 5-6 hours I would get nervous and wake her up and feed her, but I don't think I needed to do that. Unless your baby is underweight or not thriving I'd let her sleep! And enjoy it! Mine is 4 months old and she doesn't sleep through the night anymore! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You feed when they are hungry which means on their schedule and not some predetermined by some doctor or book. Usually that is about every 1-3 hours, but not always. If LO is having the right number of wet and dirty diapers then everything is fine. If jaundice then they tend to sleep a little more so be careful of that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son was a preemie, so he tended sleep through feedings. My doctor just said to wake him if it's been over 5 hours to feed him.
    Starfishsea

Answer by Starfishsea at 7:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No need to wake unless there's jaundice or baby is not wetting neough.

And NO SCHEDULING. Feed whenever baby is hungry.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2009