Calling all curly haired girls!

What is the texture of your hair, and what do you do to "tame" it?

My hair is curly, but fine hair, and most days it feels coarse. I haven't found any product that actually helps with the coarseness - most products like mousse and anti-frizz serums seem to make it worse! I can't not wash my hair because it just looks like crap!

Fawn80

Asked by Fawn80 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have coarse curly hair. I use Biosilk Silk Therapy but I get the generic version at Sally Beauty Supply for $8 and I also use the aerosol gloss spray from there as well. Works wonders. I hot oil once a week and mayo once a month
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My hair is curly when it is wet. It is very, very course! And the bad thing is, my hair is so thick and heavy that when it starts to dry, the curls start to frizz, even with the frizz free gunk I put in it. My mom just cut and layered her hair and it looks great. Since it is lighter now, her hair holds the curl if she uses a little gel and hairspray. We have the exact same hair, texture and all so I'm going to have to copy her! Lately the only way I can tame it is to tie it up in a boring bun every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I use frizz ease only when going out somewhere nice, because that is just too expensive to use on a regular basis. I would need a new bottle every two weeks. One thing I do is not rinse out all of the hair conditioner, that really helps with flyaways and frizz. Herbal essence is really great for curly hair. I currently use Garnier Fructis, but I think my hair was better with herbal essence, I just haven't bought it in a while. Another thing I used in the past was Infusium. Every year or so, I usually switch up, it's like my hair gets used to stuff and builds up a tolerance for its taming properties!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my hair is really frizzy, and wavy but not curly. I use a TON of conditioner to make it feel nice, I mean really, I condition 3-4 times before getting out of the shower. Don't know how to help with the curls, sorry.. gonna have to figure out something tho cuz my daughter's hair is curly!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have very course thick wavy hair with two perfect spiral curls by my face. It is weird.
    I always use good quality conditioner. GOOD QUALITY. Otherwise I am an awful frizzy haired freak. Then it all gets pinned behind a thick cloth headband.
    Your best bet would be to go in and get a good cut for curly hair. That is always the best place to start. They will probably tell you not to wash your hair everyday and to put mousse in and then air dry.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have very frizzy hair...serums make it worse. When my hair is just short of being dry (just about all the way dry), I use a tsp of olive oil and work it through.....there's nothing like it, and it's cheap too!
    uggs-lover

Answer by uggs-lover at 4:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Uggs-lover - I just started using olive oil and I've found it works SO much better than the serums!
    And, I do need to find somebody that can cut it right - I've got colics on each side of my head that will never set right!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Bio Silk works best for me and I have been known to use mayonnaise or olive oil but not very often. I've even used coconut oil but just on the ends. A good haircut and often seems to be key too.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I use the Aussie spray in conditioner/heat protectant and it tames it down quite a bit. I hate the frizzes, and the Midwest humidity makes it worse. If I dont wash it, holy moly it is greasy and nasty! I use pantene with straightener. Usually I just pull it up so I dont have to do with it!

canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009