No meat any Fridays?

My friend tells me she gave up meat on Fridays all year long . During lent she gave up meat on Wednesdays and Fridays when she was a child. Has anyone heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meat was considered a luxury so giving up meat was though to be a sacrifice. Also because Christ was Crucified on Friday, the idea of giving up flesh is symbolic as well. Giving up meat on Fridays is done to prepare ourselves for Mass on Sunday. Every Sunday is Easter, every Friday Good Friday. So Catholics were required to give up meat on every Friday, unless the local bishops determined otherwise. So the US bishops in the US decided to not require people to abstain from meat on all Fridays (just those during Lent) - but we were suppose to come up with some other sacrifice to do instead. Unfortunately many Catholics just got the you can eat meat on Fridays part and didn't get the you should make some other sacrifice part.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yup. I"m not quite sure which denomination it is under but that's one of the reasons my school had fish sticks available on friday
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• during Lent you are supposed to give up something entirely than, on friday's not eat meat (more strict people may go with wens as well but have never heard of this). i've never heard of someone not eating meat on fridays unless there was a religious reasoning behind it though, and thats only during lent, or giving up meat all together. never just one day a week.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Catholics aren't meant to eat any meat other than fish on Fridays and many give it up totally during lent. I know some less strict catholics don't bother with the Friday rule most of the year and only follow it during lent. We always got fish on Fridays for school lunches and later in college dorms because so many students were catholic or episcopalian.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ~OP~

I am Catholic, and so is the friend I am talking about. I gave up meat on Fridays when I was a child. Stopped for a few years when I was pregnant and breast feeding and now only give it up meat on Fridays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Why meat though? Where did this come from?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ~OP~

I am not really asking about the origins I just want to know if anyone else has heard of giving up meat all year long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ~OP~

I also want to point out I know some Catholics that give up something else all together and do not give up meat. I do not think giving up meat is mandatory for Catholics during Lent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Fridays during Lent are mandatory abstaining (from meat) and fasting days. We also choose something else to give up during Lent, something more personal to us. Some Catholics give up meat on friday all year as a form of penance in preparation for Mass on Sunday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Now during Lent it's a good practice to make some additional sacrifice to prepare for Easter. Whatever those are - that's up to the individual. So they can choose to give up meat on Wednesdays (as well as Fridays) or give up soda or promise to work in the food pantry once a week - some sacrifice to help prepare ourselves spiritually.

Now abstaining from meat on Fridays and giving other things up for Lent - these are Catholic discplines. Ways of practicing our faith. They are not dogmas or doctrines (not revealled by God as something we must do). We don't think everyone has to do it - only Catholics are required to do it as part of the Catholic faith. And so as a discipline the exact "rules" of abstaining can and do change over time and in different cultures.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009