what do you do with dirty diapers??

I have a small trash can next to our changing table, all diapers used to just get thrown in there. Well its been stinking bad lately, and we are getting fruit flies! So today I started putting dirty diapers in a grocery bag, and tying it, then throwing it in our regular trash can, now the whole house stinks and the fruit flies are multiplying. What can I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try a diaper genie
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I know some people say they are a waste of money but we have a diaper genie and love it. My parents got it for us when our son was born and it is amazing. I put regular pee diapers in the trash and that is no big deal since it gets taken out daily but you don't have to do that. I just do it to save on the liner (they are between $5.00 and $7.00 here depends on where we go) inside the diaper genie by only putting the soiled diapers in it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We had a diaper genie...they suck.

Grocery bag, tie it up and take the poop right out to the garbage can outside. Been through three kids and that's the best system we've come up with....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Hm...you should eliminate what is causing the fruit flies....we get them in the house when we have a portion of banana or other fruit left out....the poop doesnt cause the fruit flies. My sons poops 2 or 3 times a day sometimes, and I put it in a grocery bag, tie it up and put it in the regular kitchen trash. I have yet to ever smell anything and his poops don't smell like roses. I would double grocery bag it and keep a trash can outside for this purpose. If you keep a lid on it and the diapers are sealed in grocery bags it should not attract any bugs.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Diaper Genie or just take directly to the outside trash can (still wrapped in a bag).
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I put them in a grocery bag and take them to the trashcan outside. We throw the pee diapers in the regular trash can and take it out every day
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I cannot understand why anyone woudn't like a diaper genie!! I love mine!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• If the waste is solid, try dumping it in the toilet before throwing the diaper away.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Um, get a diaper CHAMP not the genie. I got mine used for 3 bucks at resale. It uses a regular garbage bag and we keep it outside. It takes longer to fill up but since I have twins thats like every other day still. I never smell anything, even when I'm outside standing right next to it.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 5:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i just take my dirty diapers to the outside trash can..I had a diaper genie II but didn't like it very well. Just much easier to take it outside
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009