Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support

If the father of my child is not working how would i go about putting him on child support? Is it even possible (i live in texas)

Answer Question

Asked by mom2kaydence09 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Get an attorney!

    Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • Go to google and find your county's child support division. You may not need a lawyer. He will be ordered to pay support even if he's not working. He will be told to get a job.

    Answer by GailllAZ at 4:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • I agree with Gail.

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • yes and you don't need a lawyer, just go file

    Answer by Ministerswife at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • Go to social services in your area and they will direct you to child services and give them all his information address, social etc...and they will send him a letter telling him he needs to pay or they will take his drivers licence away. If they can't help for what ever reason, then go to your local court house and file a motion with the court for child support they may charge you a small fee for the filling the form and they will either tell you to serve him with the papers or have a non-affiliated 3rd party or have it certified mail and you both show up to court and they will have him fill out a form on his income and he will have to pay child support if he says he is not working request that the court impute him to work a minimum wage job 8 hours a day and he will have to give a really good reason why he can't work example he has an injury that requires him to take tons of meds and he cant stand or sit for long periods.


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • You can still file but that doesn't mean you'll get a heck of a lot. My ex works very part-time and lives off financial loans as he is still going to school (grads in December thank goodness so next year it will go up)....

    Because he makes under $8,000 a year (his loans don't count) he is considered under the poverty line in NY state....he is obligated to pay $25 a MONTH!

    YEP you read right, my ex-husband, who rarely sees his son and says "I'd rather live with my NEW family" pays $25 a month in child support.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

  • good to know anony. I was goinf to say get a lawyer, I guess it doesnt hurt to have one though.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.