do clothing sizes for toddlers run small? (do your toddlers always where sizes for older kids?)

my son is 2 but he often wears size 4t, sometimes 5t or 3t in shirts and jammies. in pants he wears 2t to 3t.

is it typical for these sizes to just be off, or is my kid really the size of a 4 year old? lol. he is in the 75th percentile for height and weight, but i wouldn't think 75th percentile for a 2 year old would be 50th percentile for a 4 year old. just curious.

so how old is your child and what size does s/he wear?

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 1/2 and he's in 24 month (or 2T) clothes. some shirts are 3T,but i don't like his shirts being too tight, so i always get him a shirt that gives him some room. his pants though, his waist is 18mnth, length is 2T, so i have to get the 24mnth pants with the adjustable waist on it, he's skinny but tall. both my 1 and 2 year old have always been on track with the clothes. their ages always match their clothes.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my daughter is 2 and always wears 18 month and 2 t in shirts.. we can never find pants that fit her they are all way too big
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think it can be the same if you had problems with baby clothing. Right now my son is taller than his size. his legs look like they should be on a much older baby lol...I am assuming I will have problems for the rest of his childhood b/c clothing sizes are so so off....he is 5.5 months so this doesnt really help you but he is in the 90th percentile. I wouldn't worry about it ,if the doc says he is healthy and growing fine :) All cothing sizes are different. Have you ever tried a pant size you always fit in and it just seems to be 5 sizes too small. Same thing for baby clothes. My son can still fit into a gap 0-3 month jumper, but he is in 6 month clothing for every other brand. Try the Gap , they rock!
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• oh i forgot to mention he's always been in the 90th percentile since he was born. he was 10 5 22. dd has been in about the 75-80 percentile. she wasn't as big lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 5 year old wears a 6/7...6slim jeans, size 1 shoe.
    My 3 year old wears a 5T or small boys 4...jeans must have adjustable tabs, size 13 shoe.
    My 2 year old wears a 4T shirt, 3T pant, size 9 shoe.

My 3 year old is always mistaken for a 5 year old....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My skinny butt 3 year old wears a size 4 most of the time, but usually I have to take in the pants in some way. I have started buying size 5 shirts for him because otherwise they aren't long enough. Hes a tall, skinny kid.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son is 22 months and this summer was wearing 6 months shorts. he is wearing 18 month pants but he's so skinny that they have to have the adjustable waist or they fall down - he's in 18 months shirts too - he's my skinny minny, although me and my husband were the same way -plus he's so active its UNREAL!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i have same problem so i have a hard time telling ppl what size my son wears when they ask me when they want to give him a gift or so.
    but good thing i hve my older kids clothes save up from for my youngest one.
    2yr old wears 2t 3t 4t shirts and 24 & 2t pants and size 6 1/2 & 7 on shoes.
    4 1/2 yr old wears 5-6t's on shirt and size 6-7-8 for pants, shoes 10 and almst 11 (he is a skinny tall little man since his dad is soooo tall)
    5yr old 4-5t for shirts pants 6 smtmes 7 and for shoes 11-12.
    but the problem i think its with the clothes quality or where u go shopping. i know when i go sears i knw what size but if anywhre else i gotta measure the clothes on them bfre buying it.
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son is almost 2 1/2. He is in the 95th percentile for height and the 75th for weight. He wears 2T shorts and shirts, but 2T jeans and pants are way too short on him, so I bought adjustable-waist 3T jeans, and I'm hoping they will stay up if I adjust the waist enough. His 2Ts are still a little loose around his waist.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 26 month old son wears 18 months to 2T.
    He's swimsuit is 12 months and HUGE on him.
    It seems to me that toddler clothes are running large these days. He's not that small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009