My daughter was born 10 weeks early, I am simply looking for any advice about how to deal with having to leave her in the NICU...

I recently had my daughter and she was born 10weeks early. She weighed almost 4 lbs and her lungs are working wonderfully. My husband and I have been visiting her everyday and are told she is doing great! My problem is I miss her so much and I am finding it hard to leave the hospital knowing that I won't see her again til the next day. She has a wonderful doctor and most of the nurses are excellent...but they're not ME! I'm just going crazy thinking about her and missing her and wanting her to come home with us...on the bright side I also have a 2 year old who is helping me with having to leave the baby, because he is someone to care for and give hugs and kisses to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had my daughter in the nicu too..but i actually stayed there for the 9 days she was there.i never left. but i also didnt have another child eiether. my advice is to just know that shes where she needs to be and shes doing awesome! congrats on her and im glad shes doing so great.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I am so sorry that you have to leave her, but, how lucky that you have such wonderful doctors and medical care for her. It may not help much, but remember that just a couple of generations ago, a baby born so early would have had very little chance. I'll be praying for her to go home with you soon. In the meantime just remember that everything that is happening right now is for her to be healthy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I went through the same it is hard, but you will have your baby home before you know it. Hang in there mom, I know it is tough, but it is for her benefit.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my daughter was in the hospital the first week of her life and it was difficult so i know what you are going through just cont to go see her everyday and stay strong she will be home soon enough make sure you have the number i did and used to call in the middle of the night just to check and see how she was doin wish you the best of luck and congrats on your new lil one
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Our last baby was born at 23 weeks and was in the NICU for 2 1/2 months. I definitely know what you're going through. It's the worse feeling to walk out of there and leave your baby. But remember she's in the best place right now getting the care she needs. If it's anything like our NICU, you can call or visit 24 hours a day & the nurses are always happy to fill you in on everything & reassure you of her progress. Best Wishes & Congrats on your new baby!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• maybe before you leave change shirts and give the baby the shirt you were wearing that day to lay on. then you know she will have at least your smell near her while you are gone.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 8:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009