Now I lay me down to sleep...

Do any of you find this prayer repulsive for a child to say? You know, the way it talks about dying in your sleep?

My mother always made us say: 'I SEE THE MOON. THE MOON SEES ME. GOD BLESS THE MOON AND GOD BLESS ME' instead, and I can still see my little sister kneeling on the side of the bed with her hands folded saying that little prayer in her tiny little voice. Even though I am no longer a believer, this little prayer will always be a reminder to me of my childhood and especially of my sister who is no longer here.

Do you have any little prayers you or your children recite before bed?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 5:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't find it repulsive but I did grow up saying the one that goes "if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." It's a little scary but it supposed to reassure too. Eventually I was the "Lord's Prayer" which isn't much better, IMO.

But I do like the whole bedtime prayers routine. I have my dd say "Goodnight Earth." It goes like this:
    The earth is big and fat and round,
    I love the sky, the sea and the ground,
    I love the birds and dogs and sheep,
    and all the animals that fall asleep,
    I love the flowers and rocks and trees,
    I love the earth, and it loves me.

She's even adapted it so the last line goes "and it loves mommy and me." So adorable.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i don't make my dd say the "now i lay me" prayer i just have her thank jesus for her blessings
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My grandmother was just talking about that.
    Like I had the lullabye rock a bye baby....when the bow breaks the cradle will fall....

I LOVE that prayer.
    Granted I am a Wiccan now, but I could tweak that little prayer as a blessing as well.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yeah, that rock -a -bye baby song is scary! Let's put our little one to sleep singing to them about  falling from a tree!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It's good having the little things after we lose someone close. :)

We don't pray by rote... well, my 11 y/o does but he's autistic. I think the "now I lay me down to sleep" prayer particular morbid. It's right up there with "rock-a-bye baby on the tree-top".
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Hmm I grew up with that particular saying. Maybe that is why as a child I thought that one actually died in their sleep. More specifically that angels took your soul away for the night to some sort of souls "daycare" and returned it in the morning.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• LOL, Princess beat me to it!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Soul Daycare... lol kristie. I can see that in mind.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We said, "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Let Angels watch me through the night and wake us with the morning light."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Anon, I have heard that version too, although I couldn't remember how it went.
    MUCH better than the other one.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009