How do you make your kids mind??

For example my DD came home and comviently forgot her AR reading book--that AR READING IS A GIANT PAIN IN MY ASS!!! And she is always doing this!!What would you do?? I yell and take her back to the school and take her tv away!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• whats AR reading?
    take her tv away, and I mean actually haul the thing out of her room. Then make her read a book instead.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i would do the same thing. leaving it at school is a way they think they can get out of doing it- HA. not in my eyes, i WILL drive back there are get it myself and sit right nex tto my child while they read to make sure they are actually doing it
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 5:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well if she only does it on this one thing then I would talk to the teacher and get a copy for home to borrow,that way you dont have to go back to school to get it. Also, you dont have to go back to school to get the book. It was her mistake, let her deal with the consequences of her actions, also if she forgets, no phone, tv, computer, friends, etc.. I am sure when you take the tv away she is entertaining herself with something else.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think she needs to learn to be responsible. I try to use logical consequences. If my child forgets his book at school and can't do their homework, then they can't do fun things either, no going out to play, no tv, computer, or video games.....if you can't do your school work, you can't do those things. If they are lucky enough that I can take them back to the school, and they can still get it, then they may have some extra chores to do for me (on the weekend if necessary) to make up for the extra chore that they caused me. Make sure you explain the consequences for her actions, and that she realizes that by not being responsible she knows what the consequence is, and that she will have to accept the consequence.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Sounds like this is a universal problem, my kids did the same, but I did pick up what they had left once, and I specified that it was there responsibility after that they were on their own, and the next time they forgot, they got in trouble at school for not turning in their homework. After that they made sure they had all they needed.

Answer by older at 7:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• tal to the teacher ,tell her teacher to make sure that your daughter brings home that book .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Its very simple(and controversial in today's society) but it works! If our kids misbehave, they get spanked. My 12 yo is getting too old for spanking so he gets grounded...
    JAXX55

Answer by JAXX55 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Ask the teacher to keep her in during a recess to do her homework (not both recesses). I bet she won't forget again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I like the last answer just above me... Punishing at home does not always work because if you look at the intentions she is getting what she wants, avoiding reading the book. But here is what I would do... I would go to the book store and buy a few books, if she forgets her AR book at school, I would make her read at home a different book this way she does not win by not bringing the AR book :) I would also talk to the teacher about her not having recess and require she must read the AR book during recess until she decides to remember it and bring it home.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• LOL!!! AR is a total Pain!!! We have it too... Make it a family effort, reading time together. I have the same issue with my son. I have reading time planned for the same time, with an activity afterwards. What does she like? A food item, and activity? FOr my son it is Hot Fudge sundays, we do "our" reading then make sundays. When he gets bored with that, we do something else - I always try to get into his head and his level of thinking to make the situation work... Good Luck!

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 7:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009