Do you ever look in the mirror....

and wish that your reflection was different in some way? Thinner, different color eyes, less breakouts, lush thick hair, more voluptuous, straighter teeth, dimples....or are you completely satisfied and happy in your skin?

I have breakouts and sometimes I get so depressed with the way that I look I don't even want to leave my house or have anyone, including DH and my wonderful children, to even glance in my direction. There are days that going to work just terrifies me because I am so unhappy with myself. I wish I had a bigger chest, didn't have breakouts, hadn't gone to get my hair trimmed and got the girl who has selective hearing and instead of cutting an inch or two hacked over 6 inches off my hair....

How can I get a better sense of self and learn to love me for ME?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Sure I wish I could find a lotion that wouldn't make me break out. But I love the way I look. I think I am a hot young mom and I love my body. Try to remember that you are probably your harshest critic. No one is perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I got 4 inches cut off my hair. It was devastating because I love long hair whether it be stringy or thin, I hate short hair. BUt try to remember that looks fade and try to have a spa day at home.Read some good books on self esteem and have aromatheraphy. They sell facial masks in Walgreens that are foe sensitive skin. They cost around 5 dollars and are from Korea. ALso just try to keep a postive attitude.I used to be chubby and it was not fun.I am now skinny and I still feel sad sometimes. Just keep your chin up.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You're not the only one! I also break out like crazy. I could stand to lose some pounds and I'm missing a tooth because I had to have it pulled so I never smile anymore. If you find the secret to being comfortable with yourself let me know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ((((hugs))))) This morning when I went to pick up my girl from preschool, I felt like yelling, "Nobody look at me!!!" LOL Of course I didn't because then they would've but I FELT like it.
    -KaylaLee-

Answer by -KaylaLee- at 1:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think when one thing bothers you and makes you feel bad, everything else seems to just go wrong too. I would focus on one thing that will make you feel good - maybe just schedule a quick haircut to give you a little self esteem boost. I've been going crazy with bad skin lately too - i just read somewhere that a honey mask for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times per week really works. I still have to try it and i'll keep you posted.
    Dquint24

Answer by Dquint24 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think we as moms and WOmen are VERY hard on ourselves!!!!! We all have self- esteem problems, I recently have lost 30+ lbs,,, now I am picking apart other things,,, I say embrace your beauty!!!!! try looking for natural masks, the chemicals can make them worse,,,,, I am allergic to most every chemical I use a basic Neutrogena bar on my face and baby lotion,,, I had VERY bad acne in school, so I have scars that i HATE,,, when I put on foundation they stand out more!!!! so, I gave up on foundation,,,, i just use loose powder,,,,, I will look in my family "recipe for life" book,,,, I have lots of natural not to mention cheap alt to the chemicals!!!! when i was young my grandfather told me to start EVERY DAY with a positive affirmation,,,, he said to look in the mirror and find 1 thing you like and say it out loud,,, during that day when you feel down, repeat it,,, it really does work AFTER u get used to feeling silly!!!!!
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 2:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I like what the PP said. Another good idea is if you have a big mirror, everyday find something good about yourself and write it on the mirror with eyeliner. That way everytime you look in the mirror you will see something positive. Remember EVERY woman feels down every now and again, no matter how confident they seem, and we all are alot harder on ourselves and notice more than anyone else. But we all have wonderful qualities, looks or not.BTW to keep my skin looking better I make sure to wash my makeup off every night and then I wipe my face off with alcohol and that seems to work pretty good. Keep your head up :)
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 2:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I actually gave up on makeup after my son was born because I felt so terrible about the way I looked that I didn't even want to bother trying to make myself look better. I've always had bad acne as well and have tried everything. When I gave up the makeup I got a surprise in the form of clear skin. Turns out all the makeup and harsh washing was what was making me break out. Now, when I put makeup on, I make sure to use a deep cleanser and then I'll use an exfoliating mask the next day. If I haven't been wearing makeup I use the mask once a week and really only wash my face every other day with cold cream.
    If it makes you feel better about the hair, I got mine cut last Jan. and asked for just a trim to make it easier to take care of. She took easy to mean short and cut off 14". I was upset but didn't freak out too much until I realized the other day my hair has only grown 2" since then. Pregnancy messed my hair growth. :/
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• what do you want to look like? who would you want to look like? start there.
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 1:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009