How do you delegate chores??

We will be moving into our first home we own and it is much larger than where we are now. I primarily do all of the cleaning and laundry mainly because right now Im on maternity leave, but also my boyfriend says he hates where we live and will actually help once we own our home. So before we move I want to sort of come up with a plan on who does what (my kids are 1 month and 2 years so obviously they wont really be helping). How do you delegate who does what and how often do you clean? Ive told my boyfriend we need to clean everyday and he thinks its too much. What do you think?

brandidy56

Asked by brandidy56 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• well, you'd be surprised how much a 2 year old LOVES to help cleaning! Mine takes the clean dishes out of the dishwasher and helps me put them away, and I can put a clean pad on the swiffer and let him go to town on the kitchen all by himself, he just loves it! Just remember it's not about the quality at this point, it's just getting a routine down and teaching him that "chores" are not punishments, it's just a way of life. I also take the clothes out of the washer and hand to him to put in the dryer (if you have a front loader he can do both on his own). As far as your b/f goes, just delegate things you alternate with him- every other night you wash dishes, every other night you mop the floor, every other saturday he scrubs the bathroom. Fold the laundry together- makes it faster and gives you quality time together. 2 years old is a great age to start this!
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• oh, and it really just depends on you as people and your routines as to how often you clean what. I have an indoor dog, so I have to vacuum daily. Before she came in the house I only did it weekly or as needed. Kitchen is a daily chore because it's used daily and it's a food area. Bathrooms can be touched up as needed then cleaned once a week. Do laundry as you feel it is needed, once a week as a 'laundry day', or one load every other day.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am SAHM and it is my job to clean but if I will use cleaning as punishment...My kids are teens and What I do is give a HUGE list of things to do and leave for the weekend.
    But that is them.
    My 4 yr old I have him helping me load the washer or dryer, wiping things down. I also have my kids wash their hands after using cleaning products.
    I don't really know how to delegate things but when I was a kid we had a check off sheet on the fridge that we would initial what chore we did then mom would pay us 25 cents for each thing done. So it was up to us how much money we wanted to make.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You and your SO need to decide how to divide chores, either on a permanent or rotating basis. Good luck; housework is the number 2 cause of divorce, after money.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2009