My husband thinks I should have called 911, I think the nonemergeny number was better. What do you think I should have done?

I was rudely awakened last night by a huge bang in the backyard of our apartment building. I heard screaming and arguing and thought someone had been shot but thank goodness it happened again and I realized it was no gunshot.
So I got up and went into the kitchen to look out the window and see what was going on. The people who live across the yard in the apartment next to our friends were in the parking lot with some other people arguing. Isaw some of them get in the car so I figured it was over, but then they got out of the car, thats when I called the cops, the non emergency number. I couldnt get through so I called the sheriffs dept. Again, couldnt get through. Then the fight led to blows. I was getting ready to dial 911 but the cops pulled in so I didnt have to. I told my husband this morning and he said next time just go straight to 911 but I dont know... what do you think? It wasnt really an emergency til the hitting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When people were fighting in my apt complex parking lot, I called 911 but only because I thought I heard a woman screaming and I didn't know if she was getting beat up and I wanted the cops there fast!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• 911
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• After hours you usually have to call 911 to get through. It IS an emergency when people are hitting each other, but dispatch usually gets someone there just as fast during the day.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i would have called the non emergency #
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would encourage anyone not to question but to call 911, report your observations and let the trained professionals take over... what might look like a simple arguing could have ended up as an abduction or worse... if it was nothing then that would be the outcome... nothing, but your call could just as easily saved a life... answer in short... call 911 ask questions later....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You did the right thing. I was an apt manager in Van Nuys and stuff like that would happen all the time. I used to call 911 then I got in trouble because most of the stuff like that, was considered "non-emergency". Its kinda sad that someone has to be dieing to be able to call 911. I have even called 911 and they transfer me to the nonemergency line. Crazy!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes, you should have justcalled 911. When I suspect a drunk driver I call 911 and tell them whats going on and then they will transfer me to the sheriff.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I probably wouldve called 911 because you never know if someone was really hurt. Especially if you thought at all there was any gunshot and its so close to you. Getting into other peoples business can be difficult to do, but I think sometimes you have to for everyones safety because you never know what is really going on and its better to be safe.
    brandidy56

Answer by brandidy56 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• 911
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 6:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think your original thought of non emergency was right but after they got back out of the car I would have called 911. For what it's worth, I called non emerg once for a car that kept going up and down my street. They put me through to 911 who said next time to call them and not non emerg.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009