Momas with babies about 1&1/2 years apart..

How hard was it when the 2nd one was born? I'm pregnant now with my 2nd child, and my son is now 7 months old....

I'm so worried that It'll be too much for me to handle.
How did you deal?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 6:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is not so bad at first. Its when they are BOTH running around getting into things at the same time but trying to go 2 different places at once that is the hardest. I have a 2 year old and an 11 month old. The 11 month old decided he would walk early at 9 months so I am chasing after them both. Wouldn't trade it for anything though! Its wonderful. How I handled it is always taking a deep breath and remembering that someday I will look back and miss these moments. That they don't stay little long enough and to remind myself to appreciate the chasing and running around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have to ask this, what happens if its "Too much"? Will you just throw up your hands and say "I'm done"? I doubt it. (I think you kind of get in trouble with the law if you do) you will buckle down and do the best you can, and thats all your kiddos really want from you, they will ask for more, but your best is really enough for them :) GL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i got preggo when my son was 7months. so they're 16 months apart. as everyone knows, your first kid is the practice kid lol. so i learned alot from my son, and keeping them on schedule is the key to keeping your sanity. by the time my dd was 4wks, i had them eating, napping, and going to bed at the same time. only difference was my dd ate a little more, and slept a little longer during naps, and she woke up a couple times at night. when she was 6 months is when i got her sleeping through the night. there are some days you will go completely insane, lol, cuz they will act up or not want to go to bed, ect, but just maintain that schedule and you'll be fine. also, if your dh is with you helping out it should be fine. when my dh was here it was great. he's deployed right now so i find myself going INSANE some days, and counting down to bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It is hard, no question. Two in diapers, two needing their Mom, two sick, and on it goes. Try to put special time aside for your older child. This is so key. The baby won't notice but the older one will and it will help to make them secure and less jealous. Just feed one, then the other, when there's an emergency (child falls, chokes, whatever) put baby in the crip and run to help the other. You'll manage. I did resent the baby at times : ( because he was colicky and so needy and needed me over my dh. There were many times I was sad and felt I was missing my older child's "firsts" and not giving him the attention he deserved. Hopefully you won't have a child w/ colic! It'll be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Before I say anything remember one thing: YOU CAN SO TOTALY DO THIS! I say that first because honestly, going from 1 to 2 was really hard for me! I wish someone told me, "its gonna be difficult and you'll have to figure out how to do things in a new way and sometimes one will cry while you meet the needs of the other, but its gonna be ok. Baby #1 isn't gonna hate you for taking care of #2 and you WILL manage. In 2-3 months you will all adjust and the kids will bond, dont worry about the small stuff and sleep when you can forget about the dishes!" Wish someone told me that. Now i have 3 kids (3yrs, 1yr, and 3 mo) and I am doing ok. One thing you need to do is plan plan plan, your return home from the hospital. Have meals frozen and someone to stay with you for a couple weeks at least! I had them all c-section and my return home went well because of God #1 and cuz I prepared and stocked up on everything! You are a blessed woman!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 6:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• forgot to mention, have the oldest help out, so she doesn't get jealous. have her get a diaper, wipes, throw away a diaper for you. let her help pick out the babies clothes for the day. let her hold the baby. just make sure you're the one actually holding her :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• But at a year and some... would he be able to help out like that? Right now, my son is only 7 months, and he's my first so I'm not that smart haha
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 7:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Mine are between 15 and 16 months apart. I found it remarkably easy right at first (15 months was a great age to have a new sibling.. it's before the jealousy really kicks in, and it's an age where kids still aim to please you...), then around 2 yrs/ 9 months it got a bit harder, because my older daughter was, well, two, and my younger was getting mobile. Today they're 2 yrs 4 months and 12 months... some moments are remarkably easy, other moments I think I'll go nuts. But it's tons of fun. And here's the thing... you just do it. There's no real how or is it possible.. you just do. You won't be able to imagine life without two, at times you'll wonder why everyone doesn't have them so close together because they're so sweet together... you'll find yourself seeing it as the norm, and thinking parents who call it difficult to have one baby are just whiners (even though you know from experience it is hard)... Good luck! Enjoy!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Mine are one year apart I have a 10 month old and an almost 22 month old it was easier when the baby was younger because I just put him in his crib or swing or whatever now he is crawling all over the place and my older one is always into everything just remember it okay to let the youngest cry some especially if you have to do something with the older one my two really love each other they wrestle around I just have to watch because the oldest can get rough but they are already keeping each other company if I can do it anybody can do it good luck
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 5:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2009