Credit Question?

About 3 years ago I got a few phones through a cell phone company called Alltel. I ended up not having money to make payments on it due to the other ppl not paying there part either. Neways, I owed them around $1,200 dollars. Now alltel got bought out by Verizon. I was wondering would this still be on my credit since they got bought out by another company? I know when I tried to get a monthly plan through At&t they told me I would have to pay $700 before I could get a phone due to the alltel bill being on my credit. Would I still have to pay that much to get a monthly phone now or not?

Magen85

Asked by Magen85 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in About CafeMom

• all that verizon buying out alltel means is that now the debt is owed to verizon. it'll stay on your credit for the set amount of time and then go off of it. but verizon can still come after you for the money if they want to.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes. It's still a company and they're still wanting to collect all their debts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• A company can go out of business or change names etc.. the debt is still on your credit report for 7 years or longer if it gets sold to collection agency to collection agency.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• depends on the company. They prob sent it to collections and they may work with you on payments... tell them what you can pay. It is prob on your credit... get ur report at free credit report.com once a year. helps detect to make sure there is no identity theft tooo :). too much credit check actully lowers your credit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with poster #1. You now owe Verizon and believe me they'll hold you to it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 12:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2009