Why are there so many muslim converts?

I've noticed in my area that there are a lot of muslim converts (mainly women). Why so many now? I'm not trying to bash just curious, 10 years ago there wasn't that many but within the last 5 years (last 2 especially) there are so many. And it's just not my area, it's all over the country.

Am I missing something? Is this a trend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• GDIMOM is right. Everyone has their personal reasons! I am a convert. I started in high school looking for religion and Islam was the one that spoke to me! The more I read, the more I saw how it was what I beleived all my life!
    My good friend just converted last night :)
    Her path was similar to mine, she studied about it for years and decided it was for her!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• really no one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That's not something I have noticed at all, so maybe it depends on where you live.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Good question. I've noticed that a lot of celebrities have converted to Islam. Cat Stevens and Muhammad Ali come to mind right off the bat. I know Cat Stevens changed his name to an Islamic name, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me. He's gotten waaay deep into the religion, like he's been doing it his entire life.

I guess it just works for some people. Islam itself isn't a horrible religion, at least from what I've seen. Didja know that most Muslim people aren't allowed to refuse a guest if they enter their home? It's very interesting. Islam is the fastest growing religion.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We have a lot of Muslim people in our community, but I haven't noticed that they are converts. I believe that it is because we have a large Muslim mosque in our city. But even though we smile at each other and converse, I have never had anyone try and convert me.

I would think that the most likely reason for someone to convert is because they want to. It probably appeals to them. Or they have fallen in love with someone who is muslim and they admire the faith.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well that's a great question. I am not sure why there are so many now. I am one of them lol.
    I think everyone has their own reason for converting to Islam.

I think we are each guided to Islam by God. I was Christian before and didn't have any Muslim friends or associates. So Islam chose me about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

Will be interested to see what others say too.

Oh, I do notice everywhere I go I see more and more as well.

I think it is very interesting how the majority is women as well.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 7:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• * caitxrawks
    I think Michael Jackson did too.
    GDIMOM

• Oh, sorry you threw me off there...in Islam, it's considered reverting (as to their natural state) not converting. I thought at first you were asking why so many muslims were leaving for christianity, and I was going to mention that apparently more christians are reverting. Obviously they are seeing something in it that they find lacking in christianity.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I don't know but on friday at 5 pm the call to prayer is going to be played in the nations capitol I think this is very sad for people who are Christians being that Muslims believe the total opposite of what we believe. Just check out what the call to prayer means in english
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I feel sad for NON CHRISTIANS in this country that have to listen to Bible BS.

Or have the 10 commandments on GOVERNMENT property....it doesn't belong there.

Anon 57. I feel sorry for you for being so close minded.

The call to prayer....how is it opposite than what "we believe" not everyone is a christian....I'm certainly not.

Allahu Akbar
    Allah is Great
    (said four times)

Allah, you know, the ARABIC WORD FOR GOD.

Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah
    I bear witness that there is no god except the One God (Allah).
    (said two times)

Ashadu anna Muhammadan Rasool Allah
    I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
    (said two times)

Hayya 'ala-s-Salah
    Hurry to the prayer (Rise up for prayer)
    (said two times)

Hayya 'ala-l-Falah
    Hurry to success (Rise up for Salvation)
    (said two times)

Allahu Akbar<
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009