Basil and Oregano

I have a lot of herbs growing outside...mostly basil and oregano. Can anyone advise me on how and when to harvest the rest of it that we haven't used up to this point? What's the best way to dry it so we can use the dried herbs all winter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I pick the leaves from my basil when they are large, but if the plant is starting to die, go ahead and pick the small ones too. I don't dry mine. I freeze them in a baggie. I've heard you can freeze them in ice cube trays with a little water. in them, and drop them into soups and sauces that way.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• If you have a dehydrator, that's the best way to handle drying your herbs. I'm going to grind down my basil in the blender with evoo and pine nuts to make pesto then freeze the pesto. Until then, I've been trying to cook the over growth. Next year I'm going to can them with tomatoes.

http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/white-lasagna/

That link is to my series of "too much basil in my garden" recipes.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• you can dry your herbs simply by hanging the bundle tied with a string or rubber band, upside down from a coffee hook in the kitchen. or place on a tray and leave in a warm oven with the door a little open. or freeze them. i do both.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You can also dig up the plants and put them in a pot; bring them indoors until next year.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2009