Safe Cooking with a 2 1/2 year Old?

Specifically I was wondering what you ladies thought of my 2 1/2 year old helping me cut up hot dogs (she was holding the knife and my hand was over hers and I had full control)... Also letting her mix while heating something up? We made Beans and franks for dinner and I let her help... I really just started lately thinking it's time I let her help, she's been wanting to for awhile... So for her age what can I let her help me with?

Thanks!!! I put this Anon just in case people have issues with me letting her mix while I was heating the beans and franks... The reason I'm posting this ? is because I'm not sure what is age appropriate as far as cooking goes...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• For a 2 1/2 yr old maybe she could cut up the hot dogs with a butter knife on her own, you could also have her mix everything up in the pot before putting it on the stove, that way there won't be a chance of her getting hurt, I always let my kids help, anything that can be cut with a butter knife, mushrooms, cheese, I let them dump in the measured ingredients, and do all the stiring, I make all the adjustments, when they are finished and while they are not looking, and give them all the credit for the meal.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• As long as you suprvise and hold her little hand while you cut carefully, you are ok I think. Little ones love to get in the kitchen to help, so they can say, I helped make dinner. They are so proud of their accomplishments. You can also have her help make cookies. Mixing the dough with a big wooden spoon and then rolling it into balls and putting in onto the cookie sheet. My boys love to make cookies with me(have done so since they were real little) and they are much older than your little one. I think because it's so much more hands on... and sticky. ;)
    Just keep doing what you are doing. Like I said, I think you are doing fine and cooking with your child is so fun and rewarding. Enjoy!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OP here,I won't let her mix while the pot is on the stove anymore (tonight was the first time and I was right there holding the spoon with her) I really wasen't sure if it was ok if she helped me heat things.. So Thanks for the help! :0)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009