What were they thinking?!?! (Bad parenting)

I was talking to a friend about bad parenting and it struck a memory up in my mind that I had long since forgotten.

When I was about 16, my mom and I were at the grocery store together. We were walking past a mom and her baby, who was probably a year old, maybe younger. They were shopping in the produce section and the baby unbeknownst to it's mother was sucking on the handlebar of the shopping cart. When the mom finally saw it she said "Eww don't suck on that! Here, suck on this instead" and handed him.....drum-roll please.....A PLASTIC BAG! Sooo.....instead of letting him get exposed to germs, she'd much rather he suffocated?
My mom and I both saw it and slowly turned our heads to each other wide eyed, and mouths agape.

I want to hear your worst story! When have you seen a parent doing something absolutely, insanely stupid? Or worse yet, have you ever been that parent?

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 7:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My hubby kids and I were out with friends and their kids at a restaurant. We heard what sounded like a crash and a baby crying. We look over and What had apprently happened is that two women (that came in together)had apparently got into a fight, knocked over the table they were seated at, in turn knocking over the high chair that one of the women's baby had been sitting in. Instead of stopping fighting when the child fell they kept right on and luckily a man at the next table(with his family) had the good sense to quickly pick the scared baby up before he got hurt. The mom (who started the fight and was kicked out) was more concerned about being disrespected by the other woman, as she mumbled it as she was walked out the front door, than she was about her own child. That much was obvious.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I saw a woman with her carseat(baby in it) on the trunk of her car. She was in the process of driving off...guess she had forgotten he was back there. It was in a store parking lot so TONS of people got her attention and she got her baby. Craaazy!! Don't know how you forget that but wow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Hm.. the only thing I can really remember is seeing a mother carry a baby in the middle of winter without a coat or blanket. The baby was in its carrier but only had a diaper on. No blanket or anything. And it was like 5 degrees outside.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• One time at a Clothing store (can't remember where) we saw a mom shopping with her infant on her arm, no stroller, no sling, just holding him in her arm. Then apparently the mom saw a shirt that she liked and picked the shirt up with both hands and her infant fell down on the floor. The woman was just standing there and screaming "oh I dropped my baby" so my hubby ran over and picked the baby up and told the mom to check her baby or do something... That was really weird.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Holy cow, these stories are pretty bad!!
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Im not perfect. I never will be. I cannot protect my kids every second of every day. I have done stupid things but not on purpose. But I can't STAND when people smoke in front of their kids. I feel bad for these kids who get stuck with morons for parents but they are idiots. We have neighbors who don't smoke but leave their kid with a gandfather all day long who looks like he's jacked up on weed or SOMETHING and plays with the kid on his lap while he smokes cigarettes. It's DISGUSTING. I can't stand it-and I have to shut ALL my windows on gorgeous days because the smell literally makes me sick and I can't STAND it. And I am not going to expose my kids to cigarrette smoke that is pouring into my house (houses are VERY close together)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The lady shopping for the shirt had me laughing pretty hard. I mean, seriously, how stupid can ya be?

I was at work one day (retail) and some lady who used to work there came in and was casually talking about her daughter and said something like "the little @SSh.... was bothering me again." I was thinking sarcastically , oh yeah, glad you're a parent. It just bugged me. If you don't want kids, then don't have them. Don't call them that! (PS I knew her daughter was all of TWO years old, not some mouthy teenager or anything like that.)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• These are bad...

The other day I was at Wal-Mart and had to call 911 because I saw a woman BEATING her toddler. He couldn't have been more than 2. This wasn't spanking, she was punching him and screaming the F word. It was so horrible.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I used to work in fast food and my personal favorite was a mother who had a little girl and an about 6 mo old. As she comes in she grabs a highchair and puts teh baby in it, not unusual. She then tells her little girl to push the baby to a table. With the normal indecisiveness of a little kid the girl wanders about the MCDonalds trying to choose a table and knocks the highchair (that never should have been pushed around that much in the first place) over. The woman doesn't even stop ordering as the baby starts screaming. When she did finally do something the first thing she did was go start yelling at her daughter. The manager had managed to get over to the baby, pick it up and had calmed it down by the time the mother asked if it was ok... the rest of us just stood there dumbfounded. She told the manager to cancel her order and left, I still wonder if we should have called someone.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 8:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

You answered something similar . MOVE or put up or shut up! Besides, I can't hardly believe the smoke travels to your windows. Do you grill? Talk about moron!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009