OK Catholics explain this please...

I am really getting sick of the false information floating around

Is the pope a replacement for or surrogate for Jesus?

Is the pope a vicar for Christ? Is that same as the above question?

I don't care what the answer is, what one person believes isn't my business. I a m just wonder what the facts are.

anti-Catholic anon let me answer for you so you can save your time. *yes* there you go so you can take your hate and ask God to forgive you now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Is the pope a replacement for or surrogate for Jesus?

No.  The pope is the leader of the earthly church - Jesus is the head of the whole Church.  There is no need for a replacement of surrogate for Jesus.  The pope is the sucessor of Peter.  Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom, told Peter he was the rock on which Jesus would build His church.  This article is pretty easy to read and gives a nice overview of the office of the pope.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Why do you think it is hate for me to speak up? This is the U.S.A., and I can speak up if I want. I don't have to worry about any Inquisition. I don't have to worry about imprisonment, or being burned at the stake for speaking up. Stop calling me names for speaking of topics that interest me. And, stop trying to take away my right to free speach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It's spelled SPEECH!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Why are all anonymous trolls horrific at spelling?

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• wow anon, me think thou prostet too much I just asked a question

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• KristiS11384
    Why are all anonymous trolls horrific at spelling?

you are going to have this question shut down before a real catholic can answer it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it was a real Catholic that posted it
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Is the pope a vicar for Christ? Is that same as the above question?

Vicarius Christi (Latin for Vicar of Christ) is one of the pope's title.  As is Servus Servorum Dei (Servant of the Servants of God).  And no it's not the same as the question above.  Vicar is someone apointed to act in place of someone else.  The bible is full of examples of God appointing people to do his will.  As Vicar of Christ, the pope is not taking Jesus' place, he is simply guiding the Church the same way Peter did when he stood up in the upper room, and told the apostles that they must replace Judas, and do so with someone who had traveled with them from the time of John the Baptist (Acts 1:15). As the head of the apostles his duty was to guide the apostles and oversee a successful unanimous outcome. Catholics think Jesus is still doing that through Peter's successor today.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The Catholics do call the pope the vicar of Christ.  Please see this site....

http://www.gotquestions.org/vicar-of-Christ.html

Also, if you want to get information about anything, just type in your question in the Google bar.  For instance, type in the Google bar Do the Catholics say the pope is the vicar of Christ. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• "The Catholics do call the pope the vicar of Christ."

Yeah, Erin just addressed and explained that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009