What is everyones thoughts on bumper pads for the crib?

I don't like them but my husband put one in and I'm just wondering if they are safe or not.

mmlzrl91

Asked by mmlzrl91 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i Dont understand the problem of the my kidds love them clubble n thing with them just make sure they r tight and not loose ii thiink u be fiine
    Miszsamantha

Answer by Miszsamantha at 7:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think they're cute. They SAY not to use them because it increases the risk of SIDS b/c there's no circulation within the crib. HOWEVER, if you keep a ceiling fan on, there is circulation in the crib.

We used one until our DD was able to pull up to a standing position. We'll use one with our next child as well, I'm sure.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have one in my ds crib and it's been there since he was born, i love it, i tied it up really tite to make sure the can't get it off of there. I like the factor of when he rolls around he doesn't smack his head off of the wood, or get his little legs or arms stuck, because if he gets stuck while rolling around on the floor and can't go anywhere he freaks out and i could only imagine a leg or arm stuck in his crib.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I put one down around the mattress of the crib just to make sure my son couldn't fit down there and suffocate. the problem they have with them is when a baby rolls they can get caught in the crevice between the bumper and thcrib but if the top of the bumper is at matress level you shouldn't have to worry about that. If you don't like it take it out of the crib and tell you DH its a SIDS risk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• A baby can get trapped between them once they can move around in the crib. They also prevent air from circulating in the crib. Look up the cot death cover up 2000.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• They're fine. I used them only because they looked cute. However, they are not recommended.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• They are really not fine if you research it. This country says everything is basically fine, even things that are really really not.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I was uneasy with a regular bumper in my daughter's crib when she was small so I bought a BreathableBaby mesh bumper online and it works great. It allows air to circulate and eliminated alot of worry on my part. They are kind of expensive I guess (about $25) but worth it for peace of mind. Here's a link to the one I bought on Wal-mart.com. There are several different colors to choose from. I'm sure they have them most everywhere.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10803879
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 12:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009