so.. how long until he is completely potty trained?

my son has been doing awesome with potty training for the past 2 days (hes 2 1/2) and he's been waking up from naps with a dry pull-up. but he hasn't necessarily been telling me has has to go.. i just take him to the potty every hour. should i be waiting until he tells me he has to go? and how long will it take for him to be fully trained at the rate he's going now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Eventually you do have to wait until he tells you, and that means letting him have some accidents... but when to do this depends on you, how fast you want it to go and how many accidents you want to deal with. Is he wearing a pull-up during the day? We moved straight to underwear and after a couple of days I stopped taking her to the potty unless she'd tell me. IT felt pretty disastrous at the time, but she did figure it out pretty quickly. And she was 19 months. I think no matter how you do it, it's reasonable to expect accidents pretty regularly for about 6 weeks; some kids figure it out super quick; if he's in pull-ups and there's no real consequence for going in them, though, it can take longer.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• no he's in regular underwear all day except for naps and bed time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ok instead of taking him every hour tomorrow see if he tells you when he has to go. make it a practice day. if he doesn't, then do the hourly thing again, then after a few days do the practice day again. as for when he'll be fully potty trained, it all depends on him. GL. i'm working on this too. my ds tells me when he has to go poopoo, but when it comes to peeing i'm beginning to think it's hopeless lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009