why does he do this??

my son is always asking for his "baba" meaning his sippy cup.. even if he's holding it in his hands. i can't understand why he does this! and it's getting aggravating! advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he means something else with "baba"? Maybe "baba" is his word for sippy cup and something else? When he holds his sippy cup and asks for "baba" just tell him to show you what "baba" is.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• maybe he's talking about putting something in the cup. don't know, my kids never did this. never called them baba's either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• when they learn to say words or do stuff,they repeat them over and over. just say yup thats ur ba or cup.mabe he is letting u know that its his baba
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• haha he knows it's his sippy cup. hes 2 1/2. it seems like a game he's trying to play with me but he is totally serious when he says it. and there is always something in his sippy cup when he asks for it. so its just weird to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with angelairelan. He's just excited and practicing his new skill. It will most likely continue to happen with new words that he learns. My son (16 months) never shuts up. He says everything he sees. Most the time his mouth can't even keep up with his eyes. When we go outside he says, rock, rock, rock, tree, wire, bird.....on and on....over and over.
    It's a good sign that he's trying to communicate. Just listen, respond and be proud.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with MaMaMo, it's how some kids develop their communications skills. I also think they are looking for confirmation from you that you understand them.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• consider the tone he uses..... ask where is you baba and use the same tone... i do that with my dauhgter when i have no clue what shes asking and it works.. she shows me what shes asking for.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think he's trying to get your goat. My son is 19 months and messes with me all of the time, usually smiling. He has a since of humor.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009