Smokers..

I want to know for you smokers (cigs) out there why do you smoke in front of your children. I am talkng in a house or a car?! I can't stand when I see that.. can someone who does it explain to me why you can't move your butt outside?

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This kind of doesn't apply, but it does... however, I'm still going to answer. :D
    I never smoked around my friends' kids. Ever. i would always step outside - even when they would smoke inside or in the car. It's just not my thing.
    When I was pregnant, I immediately quit - as soon as I found out. No one was allowed to smoke in the car or in the house. He was born at 27 weeks, and in the NICU, and all smokers were banned from smoking in the car on the way to the hospital, and was required to bag freshly washed clothes in a ziploc bag to change at the hospital.
    Almost immediately after our son was out of NICU, my DH quit smoking, which I'm so proud of him for, but he refused to smoke around our son - because he has "slight" asthma, which he firmly believes is because of his parents smoking around him during pregnancy and.. for the rest of his life there on out.
    All our smoking friends know the rules - smoke outside or nothing
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I don't let DH do it usually. Occasionally in the car, but only if all the windows are open and NEVER in the house. We were at my parents house and they don't have a problem with it and he kept saying how weird it felt and finally stopped smokeing inside even there because it just felt wrong to him. If we are all outside I don't say anything because usually DS is going 100miles an hour and doesn't stop by us often.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 8:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• well the people i know are too damn lazy to get up and out side. or they use the excuse its "my" house. i myself do not smoke and i do not allow my kids around it.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Who owes you an explanation? Who the he!! are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I not only go outside to smoke and smoke outside of my car, I require all of my family to do the same thing. When we make plans to go home to visit I make everyone stop smoking in their houses two weeks before we come. If I walk into one of their homes and I can smell cigarette funk, I turn around and walk right back out and tell them they can come see us where we are staying because I won't keep my son in a house full of that crap. My parents smoked in our house the entire time I was growing up, and would smoke in the car and act like a half inch crack in the window was enough to air out the car. It pissed me off then, and it pisses me off now. So I won't be like they are. I'm down to 5 cigs a day, and will be quit by the end of the month. I don't want my son raised around it, and don't want to keep killing myself with it. I only wish everyone else would do the same thing and quit the nasty habit. BECAUSE IT IS A NASTY HABIT!
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 9:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I never smoked anything in my life but When I met my Dh he did and then when I was pregnant he smoked outside even on the road he would pull over to smoke. When I was 7 months he quit just like that and never went back our son is now 18 months! My in laws however smoke anywhere and don't care if it is in front of children! That is one of the reasons(there is A LOT MORE though)I don't bring my son around them.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I smoke buut we smoke outside and not in the car when the kids are in there. I dont think too many people smoke around babies do they? are there really people who smoke in the house or car with a newborn?
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I do go outside; but what do you mean by "in front of your children"? So what in your mind I should find a dark corner somewhere and hide so society won't be tainted by my evil habits? Grow up and get a life; worry about something that actually affects YOUR life instead of other people's. Keep your nose out of their house and car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Both Anon.. Thanks for your comments!! I don't need to grow up!! apparetly you need to think about your children.. now I will tell you why I asked! I grow up around smoke, my father smoked so much I use to cry and asked him to stop he wouldn't .. I feel so bad for those children who have to sit there and breath it in, or go to school smelling like smoke. I do think you are doing the right thing by going outside, just like everyone eles answer. All I am wondering is WHY?!?! someone has to speak up for those babies. As far as in front, I meant around them..sorry I should of cleared that up! Kudos to everyone who goes outside, your children don't have to breath it in, and MY children don't get third handsmoke from your childs clothes. THANKS AGAIN LADIES, AND IF YOU MUST SMOKE PLEASE DON'T DO IT WERE YOUR CHILD IS COMING IN CONTACT WITH IT.. I will be there voice since they can't tell you..
    oh.. and yes my BIL smokes around his
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• ...his daughter.. and I yell at him all the time.. She is 13 and cries to him. I have offered to let her move in our home if he keeps it up, and also MY boys don't go to their dads because they refuse to not smoke around my children, cause it is thier house.. The judge favored with me.. !
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009