Is it ok to shower after your water has broken?

Im just wondering just in case my water breaks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, everyone's different.
    When your water breaks, it doesn't mean you instantly go into labor - most of the time, if that's what you're wondering?

Some women don't realize their water breaking. It can happen during shower, bath, or while they're peeing.

You're fine. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• If your water breaks you need to get to the hospital and not worry about showering. Prioritize honey, seriously
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• thats what i wondered tooo.. i wanna know too :):)
    bestmomtobeever

Answer by bestmomtobeever at 9:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i was told its not safe for the baby.. but i would google it if i were you couldnt hurt
    Anonymous

• go to the hospital if your water breaks, they will probably let you take one there. i've heard of them letting you if your labor is long. you even do a water birth if you'd like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes~ you can take a shower. Or many other everyday things.

My water was gushing for over a week, I had many showers, lol! (It was 100 degrees many of those days and had gained 55 pounds, uhhhgh.)
    I went on to have a great waterbirth. It's not like my water being ruptured was urgent, lol.

PROM (water breaking, but no labor) is not usually any emergency~ depending on several factors, some women will wait days-weeks-months, leaking & waiting spontaneous labor.
    It happens eventually.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• you don't have to go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks. i would prefer to labor at home for a while. anyway my water broke in the shower! i have heard that you are not supposed to take a bath after your water breaks, but i'm not sure how true...better ask a professional ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Every pregnancy is different. When my water broke I made it to the hospital and my contractions were already 2 min. apart. Hardly had time at all.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I am planning a water birth. I'm going to submerge myself after my water breaks. Plenty of other women do it. Totally safe to get in water and shower. If you plan a hospital birth, you can probably shower at the hospital as well. Some women have rapid labor and don't have much time to shower after their water breaks. You'll know what you feel comfortable doing when the time comes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I completely misread this question, I just now realized.
    If you're not in active labor and/or you've contacted your doctor or gone to the hospital and you've given the all clear to head back home (if you haven't, I would definitely do so), then taking a shower is actually perfectly fine.
    My friend took a shower while she was in full on labor, contracting, but not dilated to her doctor's liking, she was given the ok to take a shower and she said it helped her pain a LOT.

it all really depends on your doc as well, you might have a certain circumstance where it may or may not be okay for your to shower. Definitely just re-group with doctor and see.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2009