My 3 year old daughter has just made up her own language, has anyone else experienced this?

She is extremely articulate and has an extensive vocabulary, when I asked her what she was saying she said she is speaking Spanish. To me it sounds like a cross between Spanish and Chinese. I'd like to add that she is obsessed with Dora, Diego & Ni-Hao Kai Lan. However, what is interesting is that she is mixing "regular" words into this new language. Am I going crazy or has anyone else experienced this? And should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I hear twins do it too.
    I heard that since its not real talk then it can cause speech delays. Just "heard". Not for sure yet though :/

Ill figure out when my twins start to talk!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• IDK, but to me it indicates a really high IQ. She is way too young for any kinds of tests, but I would be alert for more higher level thinking and problem solving skills. Don't push her just follow her leads she will let you know when she is ready for more stimulation.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my daughter just started this is as well and i thought i was just crazy!!! she is also into kai-lan, dora and diego, so i just figured she was trying to say words from the shows, but she will speak whole sentences in it and than expect me to understand it! i just tell her i don't speak the language and she has to translate for me, so she does than goes back to talking to her little brother, imaginary friends, or her baby dolls that way, b/c they don't have to talk back. i figure she'll grow out of it eventually.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My 3 yr old son is TOTALLY doing this - it's driving me CRAZY!!! I'm trying not to let on that it really bugs me, because I don't want to call attention to it. I just hope he grows out of this phase quickly!!!!

He has only watched Dora/Diego a handful of times, if that, but loves them. Also, I've been teaching him sign language, as I've been learning it myself, but I just can't figure out how to get him out of this phase? That I know of, no one else in his 3K class in the mornings speaks a foreign language... i guess they are just trying to make up their own dialect at school between the children maybe? It started after he started school...
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 11:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My girls were so close in age that they had the "twin talk". Which was just a variety of sounds.  But in your situation I would say she is just experimenting and playing around.  I wouldn't be too concerned until it started interfering with her first language. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my son does this. hes done it since he was almost 2. we call it danteage. its his own language and im hoping hell grow out of it before his sister learns it lol. since hes 4 now i just tell him i dont speak danteage and to tell me in english what hes talking about. he then laughs and says it normaly. he cracks me up at times thats for sure.
    koolcry

Answer by koolcry at 6:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2009