What rack do you place your cake on in the oven?

I baked a cake from a Kraftfoods.com magazine...a really neat website.
I decided to bake Gram's best brown sugar cake. I read somewhere, that you are suppose to bake a cake on the middle rack? That is not too close to the bottom or top rack. Do you know anything about this. Pies or my thing, but I would love to bake better cakes. Your input would be appreciated. If you bake recipes from Krafts...I'd love to hear back from you.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 9:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I bake with my rack in the center position. If necessary, I'll remove the top rack. Center your pan in the middle of the oven to allow air circulation all around. Some ovens are hotter in the front or the back, and if you see foods browning more on one side, turn them halfway through cooking. Not with cakes though, as they may sink in the middle when moved. I do bake from Kraft, but I don't know if I've used any of their cake recipes. I make most of mine from scratch, but a few using cake mixes with extra ingredients.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Cakes, Pies, etc.
    If baking items in pans with sides, stagger pans so one pan is not directly over another pan. For multiple-rack baking, it may be necessary to remove the pan on the bottom and/or top rack 1-3 minutes before the middle rack to prevent overbrowning.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I always put both pans side by side in the middle.
    JordynnsMom

Answer by JordynnsMom at 5:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Always bake in the middle. The heat circulates evenly around.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009