Would you do it?

My daughter is friends with my neighbor's daughter and I was asked today if I would let my daughter go over for swimming. I said "sure, that would be good". But then I was asked if I would go over to supervise the girls. I said "I'm sorry but I have some things I need to do at home". First of all, it's not my home and I wouldn't feel comfortable being out in THEIR backyard. Secondly, they are the ones inviting so shouldn't they be the ones supervising. I know if I'm inviting over my home, then it would be my responsibility. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• No your not wrong. I would let the mom know that you don't mind if she goes swimming, but you don't have the time to go supervise. Where will this mom be? Why would she want someone else supervising on her property?
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would never let my child go swimming or jump on a trampoline unless I was there to supervise myself. Put aside the things you need to do at home and let your child have fun....while you are there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ....and make the other mom be there supervising her children...period
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would have said yes she can swim as long as you are outside with them it is fine. That is crazy, why wouldn't she say hey the girls want to swim, but I am busy would you be able to watch them. Sound like a shady person
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Sorry, I forgot to mention on my post above that the girls are 9 and 10 years old. My daughter has taken numerous swimming classes and I feel very confident with her swimming. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• nope, if you invite a kid to your house you are watching and vice versa
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No, you're not wrong in your thinking. In fact, I think it's kind of rude that they invited your daughter over for swimming... and then asked you to supervise at their own house? Wtf.
    I guess it'd be a little different if you were invited over as well, and moms shared supervising duties - if one had to go into the kitchen and they were preparing snacks or lunch... or another had to go to the bathroom.
    But, that's just weird.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I don't think you are wrong but she may be worried about being sued if something would happen to your daughter. Or maybe she just wanted someone to babysit her girl and that was her way of doing it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You are not wrong, and I hover over my kids like crazy. My kids are fish, we have a pool. I would not prevent her from going as long as I knew they were being watched. I don't care how strong a swimmer she is, if there is no one watching my kids not going. My father was 67 yrs old and drown in 3 freakin feet of water because he had a heart attack while his wife was in making lunch. NEVER EVER EVER Swim alone ladies, no matter how old you are! I think you are right in finding that a bit odd. What the heck was the other mom going to be doing while you were out in her yard playing life guard? Very weird.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That was rather rude of her to basically invite you over to watch the kids so she can do whatever
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009