Does pull-ups work or set your child back?

my daughter is 26 months and she's been training since she was one. Now we got her to the point where she goes on her own but sometimes she uses the bathroom on herself without us knowing. Now in daycare she wears pull-ups and at home she wears panties. I'm wondering if the pull-ups are holding her back, because she does pretty good with her panties on, she always uses the bathroom in her pull-up, like a pamper. so what should i do? should i send panties with her to school or keep her with the pull-ups and panties at home.

angelsmommy0721

Asked by angelsmommy0721 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• panties would definitely better for potty training but i know a lot of daycares don't want you to send your child in panties unless they will not have (hardly) any accidents all day long. i know, it's frustrating, right? having her wear panties would get her there faster! but if you think she wouldn't have many accidents at day care, then send her in panties. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You know, I used pull ups, but looking back on it it prob would have been easier to skip them and go straight to undies. I do know that going back and forth between undies and pull ups slow down potty training, at least in my son and my friend's girl.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• talk to your daycare about how well she does in panties and that you think the pull ups are holding her back. at the daycare i work at we really encourage and help with potty training
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Switching between panties and pull ups will be confusing. Let her run around naked this weekend (when you're home, and try to be home as much as possible) and try to bring her to the bathroom every 30 mins. If by sunday night she is still having several accidents, hold off on the panties. Its best if you have at least three days at home with her to do this. Good luck and HTH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• for us panties worked best. DD wore panties, or was naked at home and was fully trained within a month. she was 18 months when we trained her.my niece wears pullups, she turned 3 in june and is still not trained. she started training just before she turned 2.
    i don't know if it's the same for everyone.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It depends on the daycare, as someone else said. Some of them don't want kids out of diapers until they're fully potty-trained, and some don't mind working with you to do the training. Talk to them and see what they're willing to do, and that might make your decision for you. If the daycare thing is not an issue and they'll let her wear panties, then that sounds like the way to go since your daughter responds to them better.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I worked with toddlers in a daycare, and we found it much easier to help with potty training if the child was in panties. A good daycare will work with you in potty training and not expect you to do it only at home. I would try to avoid pullups if possible, except maybe for night time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• if she does good at home with them why not send her to day care, if it happens it happens its normal im sure its not the first or last time a child has had a mishap there. mines still too young for potty training but i dont think im going to use them only at night to save the sheets perhaps.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I found that Pull-Ups were not effective in training, dd would put one on, go potty in it, and then take it off and put her big girl pants back on. I don't plan on using them with ds, I think that underpants are better, try to take her to the bathroom every hour or so, or ask her if she needs to go. The Pull-Ups are designed just like diapers, and the child cannot sense when they are wet so IMO they are not good.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I haven't had to potty train yet, DS is still way to young. BUT, my cousins worked for a long time at a daycare and they both have said that pull ups do not help at all. My mom says this too, she pottytrained 3 of us. They suggest panties all day and all night. Sure you'll have to clean up a few accidents but once the child realizes how uncomfortable it is to be in their own mess pottytraining is usually pretty quick.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009