My daughter is VERY picky about what she will eat...any advice?

First of all, she is only 15 months old, and she doesn't get junk food (except for an occasional hotdog). She gets a handful of goldfish crackers here and there, but other than, she is offered plenty of healthy foods.

My problem is that she won't eat much of anything I set before her, and I'm running out of options. She won't eat eggs anymore. Some days she'll eat whole wheat bread, and the other days she spits it out. Non-pureed veggies and fruits other than canned green beans, frozen peas and bananas are rejected. She doesn't like juice (not that I'm complaining!!), she sometimes likes chicken, sometimes not. I tried offering her infant cereal mixed with pureed fruit or veggie, and now she's starting to reject that too!!

I think she's too young to give her the "eat what I set before you, or you just don't get any food" ultimatums. Any advice? She's underweight, so I'm not going to let her go hungry. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think I heard that they need to try something like 10 times before they develope a taste for it. Keep offering things before giving something you know she likes. They are all picky at that age.
    ysmeine

Answer by ysmeine at 10:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OP

She likes Yo-baby yogurt, peanut butter, graham crackers and waffles spread with PB. But I can't give her that every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Have you tried Pediasure it's great for picky eaters also helps open up their appetite..
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I dont think pediasure is the answer it will just fill her up and it is sweet so they wont eat and wait for the pediasure because it is sweet. Have you tried cracker sandwiches? Olive are gigh in good fat I believe. salad with dip? baby carrots with dip, you can also get canned green beans with no salt added. try a whole wheat wrap sandwich. my daughter loved spinach when she was younger i would roll it in little balls. Even her olives i would split but not all the way and put a little peice og ham and cheese in it. Let her dip her fruit in yogurt or apples in carmel, cheese chunks are also high in fat (good for underweight) will she tell you what she wants. Try grilled cheese with ham or turkey and cut it in little squares, uuhhmm Also you can get kosher (hebrew international) hotdogs that are actual meat not bi product they are way better, but do taste different. Fish shrimp, tuna, hard boiled eggs. Private mess me
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Keep in mind when babies and toddlers are teething, they just don't want to eat - even if they really would like the food otherwise.

I would keep up the good work about offering a large variety of foods, and maybe discuss with her pediatrician about what to do about her weight.

I know my doc thought it was a good idea to sneak some instant breakfast in my daughters milk on teething days when she just wouldn't eat...but that was just to deal with lack of vitamins those days - her weight was still fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I did try pedisure with my older boys- it was expensive and they did not care for it. So then I switched to Carnation instant breakfast as it has vitamins and minerals- I mixed it in their milk and gave them 'chocolate milk' to drink with meals-- as they were very picky about eating. My boys did outgrow the pickyness and are good eaters now.
    My youngest is 3 and is quite picky- he does like mac & cheese, hot dogs, ham, bread, toast, yoghurt, cottage cheese, crackers, apples, bananas, cereal, jello, there is more, but those are his 'main' foods--- for the moment anyway. I do try to keep things he likes (and will eat) on hand and offer them to him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• cut down her milk consumption

and remember her belly is only the size of her palm so thats all she needs to eat at a sitting so you make the sittings 4-5 x a day--we do 630 a 10 a 2p and 6 p
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son is quite picky, and in order to get him to eat other things, I find alternatives.
    He loves bananas, and I'm glad for him. He will eat part of an apple sometimes, but not often, so I give him applesauce, same thing, especially if you make it homeade.
    For meat, I dip it in breadcrumbs ( oil then breadcrumbs for broiling, or baking, eggs, then breadcrumbs for frying), then I let him dip the breaded meat in ranch dressing.
    Lately he only likes mashed potatoes, but iF i want him to eat baked potatoes, I mash them up and take the skin away, what does he know?
    carrots are easily disguised with mashed potatoes, when mashed in. You can also try mashed sweet potatoes, or make sweet potato french fries.
    My son won't eat any green vegetable, so I bought V8 Splash, the orange flavor (he loves orange juice) to disguise his veggies. Nothing wrong with peanut butter, it's a sure fire way to get their protein, and so is yogurt.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Sounds like there are enough good things she likes to keep her healthy.. I would back off on new stuff or struggles for a few weeks and then re-introduce the foods. They change so quickly! She could also have a little tummy bug right now so some things do not look good to her. I know that some times my favorites do not appeal to me and then I start craving them.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OP

She doesn't drink a lot of milk...she is offered 16 ounces per day and probably drinks 12 ounces of it. She drinks more water than milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009