Totally need some answers or advice...

So my daughter is almost 3 yr old. She has recently started "exploring" I guess. Like with her private parts. I've caught her with her hands down her pants "playing" or touching her girl parts and like "humping" her bed but for like 30 sec when she is going to sleep. I dunno is this normal at this age or something? I've tried to think if maybe she might have been touched inapropriatly by someone but she hasn't been anywhere just home with me. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope it's normal, my 3 yr old is just getting out of that little stage, you don't have the words to say to them though, you don't want to make tthem feel bad or think that they are touching something bad,
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• exactly...I've asked her if someone has touched her and she said "yes my hands" which made me laugh but just sorta freaked me out! Thank you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• She may have a little infection. They get them too!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Dont condem nor condone just tell her if she would like to do that she needs to go in her room where it is private
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• isn't telling her to go to room where its private condoning it? Not being rude...Also I thought she might have an infection but I've looked for signs of a yeast infection and there wasn't any. What other infections are there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Totally normal. She's discovered something new and that it feels good.
    As Cherish05037 said, don't condemn or condone it, but make sure she understands that she needs to do that in private only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• you are not telling her it is good. Telling her to go to her room is not telling her good job hunny!! My previous post is almost right from a pediatric nursing book
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Maybe not a yest infection but just dryness or a little boo-boo in there. Not to scare the poop out of you, but my neighbors daughter stuck a little piece of a toy "in her hiding place" one time... oh the joys of kids! I also agree with the "you do that in private" advice. Sadly, my older boy was a nose picker and we use to say- you need to do that in private. He would sometimes say I am going to my room to pick my nose... ugh! He outgrew it when it lost its newness and moved on to some thing else that scared or drove me crazy!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 3 year old has been checking herself out too. It's a totally natural thing to do and I would not stress about it. I spoke to her pediatrician (who happens to be a woman) she said it is very normal for children to explore their own bodies and to answer any questions that she has. She mentioned that we should tell her the "real" names for her "parts" and not to make up any play names. I did question the whole "did someone touch you there thing" with the dr. & she said that if she is exhibiting abnormal behaviors did then ask her simple questions.

However, it's important for me to note (and not to scare you) that during my daughter's physical exam the Dr. found that she had a vaginal adhesion which maybe why she began touching herself in the first place. So you may want to just double check with your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009