Question for Mothers who have experience both normal & C-section delivery?

My fist baby i had a C-section after 21hrs in labor. I stop dialating at 8cm I was stuck at 8cm for 8hr. So thats why I had my fist C-section. Now im expecting my 2nd baby & Im not sure if i want to try having a Natural delivery. My Dr. said that if i want to try it natural Its fine i could try. That i have a 80% chance of having a natural birth. Im just scare that the baby might get stuck or that i may not open all the way to 10cm again. Or should i just get another C-section?

Ladys please help..

THANK YOU..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The midwife I am working with has MANY women who have healthy and happy births after c-sections. I have not had a c-section before but I did have a surgery that perforated my uterus. My midwife is confident that I'll have an excellent vaginal delivery. Someone in your doctor's office may actually have special training in helping women with VBAC. You can also consult with nurse-midwives or other birthing experts to help ease your concerns. You'll know what's best for you and your baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I've done both and with this one, due in Jan, I would perfer to VBAC (natural birth) The recovery time is less and there are fewer risks. A good site to read and possibly help make your decision is the Mayo Clinc's site about VBAC. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vbac/VB99999/PAGE=VB00001

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i think what would really really help you have a satisfying birth experience would be to actually have a normal birth and not just vaginal. were you able to move around during your labor, or were you tethered down by monitors and pokey things? i think it's great that your doctor is supportive of VBAC!!! i suggest you read the book "pushed" by jennifer block. there is a lot of info in there about normal birth and how all of the machines and things can stall out your labor. good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• another good link in addition to the one posted by chrissmom is http://www.ican-online.org/.
    gl again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• One of my main reasons for choosing a VBAC was the recovery; I had an active toddler at home who I still had to take care of and I didn't want to be hindered by the pain from a C-section recovery. I had an easy recovery the first time around, up and about after a week or so, but the vaginal delivery was still 10 times better; I was 100% again in a matter of days instead of weeks. Vaginal births are generally better and safer than C-sections for mother and baby, though scheduled C-sections are better and safer than emergency. If there's good reason to think that what happened last time will happen again, then go ahead with the C/s. But there are ways to get around the stalling; usually change in position and moving around will do it (which means an epidural could be a hindrance, as could continual monitoring). Talk to your doc, and look up info on "natural" births and VBACs, you'll get a lot of good tips.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I had a c-section in part (there were MANY contributing factors) to not being able to dilate properly. I was "stuck" even smaller than you were, and, as I said, there were a lot of other things that were going on / going wrong with the delivery.

6 mos after my ds was born by c-section, I got pg with my dd. She was a v-bac. There were problems there, too, but nothing like what was wrong with my ds's birth, and the things that went awry with her delivery had nothing to do with the previous c-section.

It's very possible to have a c-section for the reasons you mentioned and go on to have a v-bac with no issues.

I don't regret doing either of my delivery methods.

GL!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009