How old is too old?

After much consideration and research, I decided before my son was born that I was going to breast feed him till he started teething but continue providing him with breast milk till he reached 1 year through using a breast pump. All I've learned about says that breast milk helps development. My mother says I shouldn't continue after he starts teething but then my oldest sister says that she actually breast fed her youngest till she was two years old without the use of a breast pump. I'd like to hear some informed opinions please.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 10:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every child is different so if you are going to stop breastfeeding because the child is getting teeth relax. If your child does not chomp down hard, even after teeth it will be ok. I nursed one child til 17 months. my sister nursed her daughter past 2 years. These kids had teeth. My third child was not the most gentle nurser and I weaned him with the first tooth!!! Only you and the nursing relationship you have with your child will determine when you take off the breast and start pumping. The Le Leche League can help you with nursing problems, even biting, to continue the nursing longer. Hey good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You do not need to stop when they start teething. They do not use their teeth to suck. I bf'ed my first for 9 months and my 3rd for around 16 months. (My second had medical issues so she was 4 months when we had to switch to bottle). Both of them had a full mouth of teeth well before I stopped nursing. I was bitten a handful of times, and they weren't hard bites, just the kids trying to figure things out. As soon as their teeth touched, I unlatched them and put them down, then went back a couple minutes later to nurse again, and they didn't try to bite again after a couple times of that. This is one of those myths that I heard ALOT, but there is no truth to it. Teeth do not impede your ability to nurse your children.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It is a personal choice. Personally I BF until 18 months. I rarely used a pump and when I did it was because I would be away from my son for sustained periods of time (4 hour class ewww). You just need to find what is comfortable for you.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You guys are awesome! I get parenting tips from two extremists all the time. My mother and sister are polar opposites but both strongly opinionated. It's nice to hear from mothers who aren't biased. Thanks!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 10:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My DD is 11 months and has EIGHT teeth. She nurses fine, 8+ times a day still. XD I plan on nursing her until she weans, and I have NO problem nursing a kingergardener. (My DD has multiple food allergies which is partly why i want to nurse for so long, her allergist told me I'd have to nurse until she goes off to college. lol!) I realize it's not for everyone, but humans were designed to be nursed until about 5. That's why we have milk teeth you know. Milk teeth fall out= no more milk needed(usually).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my dd did occasionaly bite me.. i think she was just kind of playing but then when i would yell she realized it got a reaction and would continue doing it and laughing haha. It hurt but in only lasted a very short time. I breast fed until 14 months. Good luck.. do what you feel comfortable with!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My youngest is 26 months. Still breastfeeding; part time. No pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• if you are using a pump do it till you dry up it is sooo good for them it is not like they know. I would give milk too so that when you do dry up they will have a supliment
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Remember, it isn't just the milk that is so great (although it is great), it is the experience. The cuddling together, the eye contact, that feeling of having them "melt" into you when they are finished. Teeth don't change the experience. You may get a bite once or twice but just end the nursing session calmly & firmly & baby (toddler) will learn that isn't ok. When babies nurse, their mouth/lips cover their teeth so you don't really notice. Any biting is usually out of curiosity or b/c they did it once & got a reaction from Mom.

Nurse as long as you want to. I very rarely pumped for DS or DD. I had a simple manual pump & would keep enough in the freezer for a bottle or two in case I had to run an errand & got stuck in traffic or something. Or, I would occasionally pump during a long nap or if baby slept a long time at night. Pumping isn't something you have to do. Enjoy nursing your baby & good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• here's a good response to your mom, if she's saying stop nursing when the teeth start to come in- they don't use teeth to eat baby food, so why should you have to stop nursing?
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009