Addictive by nature

My husband has been clean and sober since we started having children, he was an addict, and father, and his father. Does this guarentee my son too? I think I can see it already, he gets obsessions, he'll like thomas the train for example and only play with things like that, that's all he would care about, he would always be wanting someone to buy him all of the thomas toys. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• addiction is a chemical thing. The thomas thing is a fad all kids do it
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• There is a possible genetic link to addiction, as far as I know they are still just theories. But that does not mean he will be an addict. It just means he may be more prone to being one. The important thing is that your dh is clean and sober so he can be a good example to your son. The nurture factor is even more important, if he isn't being exposed to addiction then he will not try to imitate it, which is something children definately do.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with Petie- he could have a more likely chance of becoming an addict than someone who does not have an addictive personality. You didn't say how old your son is, so he is probably just being a kid. Once he's a little older you can make sure he keeps a good balance in his life- or you can try to start now by offering him other types of toys he can choose from that don't include Thomas to show him that other types of toys can be just as fun. And like petie said, so long as your hubby is staying a good example, that will make a world of difference. Make him listen to "Walk A Little Straighter Daddy"- that will help keep him on the wagon :) <3
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my boyfriend and his family all have had addictions. so i worry the same thing.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2009