Husband with Pain Pill Addiction

Anyone else been through this? I need support here or somewhere online and I don't know where to turn!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Type Pain Pill Addiction Support or... I need to find a support group for spouses of people with addictions and hopefully there will be something pop up.
    Good luck to you and yours.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You need to take the pills away and get him into counseling. Go online and check for counseling places in your area or better yet call your health insurance and they will give you referrals in your area that are covered under your insurance. Where is he getting the pain killers?
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Been there...done that! You are on a long, painful road but one that eventually ends as long as your husband WANTS to get off of them. My dh was getting them from the dr's & family members. He had a choice....our family or 'his' family. He chose me & the kids but it cost him everything else. He gave me a list of every dr he had been to. I called them & every pharmacy around & told them to 'red flag' his file because he is addicted to pain pills & that if I find out that they give him pills again they will hear from my attorney. Some of the calls where made right in front of my dh. He also had to lose complete contact with his family members that associated with drugs in any way shape or form. All of this took place 8yrs ago. The first two yrs were hell. The next two were very bumpy. Then there were health problems that almost took his life, which really opened his eyes. He has been totally clean for 4yrs. God is great! cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• cont.... Now, dh is doing wonderfully. However, I changed during this whole thing. I am a very defensive person now & irritable, even with my children. You need to get counseling as you go through this. Don't try to do it on your own because you will lose yourself in the process, possibly slowing down his recovery process. Get close to God & love your dh. Again, you have a very hard road ahead of you but the two of you can come out of this better people. Everything I have said is IF your husband chooses to fight the battle. If he is still in denial, then there is nothing you can do. Your choices are stay or go. Big Hugs!
    Father God, please be with this family as they fight this difficult battle. Give them your peace & understaning while the confusion & heavy emotions surround their every thought. Close all windows & leave only the path that leads to YOU & may they walk that path together with love. In Jesus name...Amen!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• just take them away.

i had to have multiple surgeries due to a condition i was born with and i was on percocet constantly for a very long time, when i finally got over the pain and as done with surgeries (they were literally back to back so i was on meds for a long time) i had issue getting off of them and i felt a huge wanting to ask her for more but i knew i wasnt in that much pain anymore.

it was just a matter of stopping them...dont get the prescription....you cant have it
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009