For those choosing not to vaccinate their baby's

If you are not getting your baby vaccinated for the flu and H1N1 flu, are you worried? I would rather not give my son these two shots, and so I will probably be a nut and not take him anywhere until spring. People think I am super paranoid. Seriously though, what is the other option, if you don't want to give a 6 month old a brand new shot, and you cannot predict if the neighbor is carrying the flu? I don't want people to find me rude , but I'd just rather they all stay away! Does anyone else feel this way now with a baby that everyone is just a big germ bug and needs to SHOO!?

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my babies arent that young anymore, but I never got them any shots...including the flu shots. So now that they are 3, 3, and 2 I won't be getting them either the flu or the H1N1. I can see what you're saying about keeping the baby indoors, but if you take the baby out, its gonna work to build up his immune system. And that's what will keep him healthy, a strong immune system! Now Im not saying let everyone sneeze all over him and stuff, but you don't have to stay away from all human's until spring! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I dont immunize for those things (I do some things..) but never for the flu ...not vaccinating for a contagious disease is not meant to isolate your baby it means you are confident in the good nutrition you give them to know if they get ill their body will fight it and be all the more strong in their immunity for it... you need to research a bit harder to understand why you do what you do so that it makes sense and is the best for your child.. I had H1 n1 in April I caught it from a patient where my wisdom was put to the test..my kids were NOT prophalactically treated and neither one of them became ill
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• As long as you take proper precautions (washing hands, using tissues to blow your nose, wiping down shopping cart handles, not letting strangers get in baby's face, etc....all the common sense stuff), there's no reason to keep the baby inside away from everything. It could actually hurt him more than help, as he won't be exposed to anything to build up his immunities. I never got my son a flu shot, and he's 2 now and has been sick once, but not even bad enough to take him to the doctor, and we've never done anything differently.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well that is what I am asking then, what else can I do besides what i am doing then? He is formula fed and starting vegetables right now. I am a hand washing freak and always wipe down shopping carts and everything else. Anything else that I could be doing. I will make sure I do not keep him inside all winter lol....but Id like to make sure Im doing everything possible to keep him healthy.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No not worried.

I breastfeed, my son eats extremely well and he has never been sick. I think if you look after your child's health you should have nothing to worry about :)

Make sure he gets plenty of fruits and greens. These have been awesome for my son. He has been around so many sick kids and has never been ill. He is nearly 2 :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009