In your opinion is popping a kid on the butt and popping a kid on the hand the same?

My friend said she is completely against spanking but when she was here I saw her pop her kid on the hand several times. I guess I really do not see the difference between the two?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• We pop our kids on the back of the head...more like a light slap like hey snap out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would think a simple smack on the hand vs. a swat on the ass, really isn't all that different. I rarely smacked my child anywhere except for the diapered butt though. By the time they were out of diapers, they pretty much knew the ins and outs of my rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes, hitting a child is hitting a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My dad used to say, "There no talent in that ass". He taught me that you can't hit their hands, they might be a concert pianist when they grow up or a great artist. You wouldn't want to ruin that talent would you. You can't smack their mouth. What if their talent is singing or maybe they'll be the next great speaker. You can't smack their legs, they might be a great dancer or athlete. But there's no talent in that ass.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 10:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yeah, same thing. if they touch something they're not supposed to touch, , i.e., an outlet, i pop the hand they touched it with after 2 warnings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• They are the same. sometimes i do if he is doing the no no with his hands.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• they are one in the same...both abuse!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• always_chris . . . . that is hilarious!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• whatever... spanking is not abuse until you abuse IT. And to me, they are different. I wouldn't spank my kid on the butt for grabbing something dangerous- I would swat his hand. And vice versa- you lied to me, I'm not going to smack your hand, I'll swat your butt. I think the butt is more the punishment and the hand is more the 'don't touch that' thing.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It's the same thing. I opped mine on the butt and on the hands. They haarbor no resentment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2009