Is it weird to you how some people can afford cigarettes at $5 a pack, but are on WIC/Medicare/Food Stamps/Welfare?

Just wondering how that works...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• incredibly weird! but hey what can you do they decided to give their money to something that is shortening their life instead of spending the money on something more important like their kids an well being. =/
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 10:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well, when you receive wic you get checks and they give milk, cheese, eggs, peanut butter and juice. Later after babies born you get formula, baby food, cereal. Medicare is for old folks and food stamps you also buy food. Welfare is all of the above except wic.

Now that leaves plenty of cash to buy cigarettes, but maybe you should mind your own business!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Rolling your own is pretty damn cheap. How do you know they don't do that Miss Nosy Critical Judgmental?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with you! What about beer? They have $$$ for that too! Funny how this is such a touchy subject with some. I remember when I was a teen my friends Mom would send us down to the corner store for cigarettes for her, they would take her food stamps for cigarettes. Crazy! No money for kids though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think they have their priorities all out of whack!
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Does not make any sense, but then you CAN NOT buy cigarettes with ANY food stamp money.

Perhaps they get some form of child support or some other form of help, or work part time or get disability for a child?? Who knows?

But for the record, you cannot purchase anythng other then noncooked food items on the foodstamp/ebt card.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Anon, no one is saying that anyone uses food stamps to buy cigarettes and beer. But if you have the cash on hand to pay for those items, then you really should not need much assistance in food stamps. When my husband was smoking he easily spent $200 per month just on cigarettes. That is a lot of money. For those who are on assistance it is just really irresponsible to spend that much on your nasty habit instead of you children.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Troll
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If they smoke 3 packs a week, that is only $60 per month and they may smoke less than 3 packs per week. Some people need it to deal with their lives and stay calm. It may be irresponsible but not as aggravating as someone on assistance getting a new tattoo. BTW I don't smoke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think If u can afford to spend 5.00 on some nasty pack of smokes than ur a** shouldn't be on public assistance..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2009