Has anyone ever forgot that their kid had a half day at school?

I was so scared today! I realized it a half hour after school let out, and called the school, because I live 20 minutes away. Thank God he was playing on the playground. I forgot because I was expecting my MIL to come over, and she never did, so while I was vacuuming, I blew a fuse and I spent an hour trying to figure it out. I was so flustered after that, plus the baby started crying cuz it was lunchtime, and then I remembered. I know I wasn't the only one today, because 4 other kids were in the office waiting for their moms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I forget all the time, but I do remember before the end of the day. I usually start thinking, "Ok, I'm going to (vaccuum/watch a movie/run to the grocery store" and then I'm like "Oh, crap, I can't do that, I have to pick the kids up early!" I don't think it's an end of the world thing if you do forget though. Things happen. And with the way they throw half days and days off in there when there's no real reason (no holiday or anything), it's easy to forget.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Omg no but once I did forget that there was no school one day. I dropped my son off and went to work then got a call when I got there from the school! I felt like the worst mother in the world but felt a little better when I got back to the office and there were other kids in the office and when wewere walking out, an older lady was dropping her granddaughter off and I had to tell her to flag her grandma down as she was driving away!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• lol.. well i 4 got that i even took mine to school. .. she had a half day evry day (pre k) and i use to work nights so when i got home like around 2 my baby was just waking up for a bottle so i would put her back to sleep . anyway needles to say i was so sleepy taking her evymorning.. and day i came back and (evry day like 830) and fell alslep w/ my other 2 kids i usally left home at 10:45 to pick her up for 11. so half asleeep im thinking in my head weres my kids oh there michael and abby is in the carseat sleeping so wres lanai .. is she upstairs in her bed litarully talkin to myself. then im like no she at school! got up runing to get her this was exacly at 11. i got there in 7 min ..omg sry for the long story.. lol
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I went to pick my daughter up from a babysitters house and the babysitter was freaking out. She was outside on the porch and she lives right at a stop sign. There was a car stopped in fron of her house and her uncle driving throught the stop sign. She yelled to her uncle and some kids in the car in front of her house yelled help help!! She told him to get out and run to her. He did!! Some guys was kid napping him. His grandma was supposed to be home to get him!! Get this the school sent the notice of the half day home with the kids. BS
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes, I have. When I had her in public school for Kindergarten they had a "short" day on Wednesdays. I got a phone call about 30 minutes after I was supposed to be there asking if I forgot it was short day. erm... yeah. It was no big deal, they kept her in the office til I got there, and assured me I was not the first one, and surely wouldn't be the last one, to forget! :)
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 12:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• O.P. here-That's what i was upset about. The school didnt even call me! I thought someone walked around the school to make sure everyone left the grounds or something? I thought maybe he would try to walk home, or to my mom's house, I was so scared.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, but i realized halfway through morning when I took a glance at her calendar(it was my little sister). I did miss the bus the other day (normal time) and lost it. I was in such a frantic. Thankfully her school is only five minutes away and I hauled butt. I felt soooo horrible! I was in tears. My mom now jokes everyday to not forget her. I had to meet the bus at another area to get her and when she got off i just hugged her for like two minutes. I felt horrible. Ugh. I still cant believe I did that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i best friend has done this before...on all the half days after that, i would be a wise ass and send her a text message to not forget her kid. lol. accidents happen mom:)
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No. I have every important school day (1/2 days and no school days) put in to my calendar on my cell phone. I keep track of everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Not yet but I'm not going to pretend it couldn't possibly happen either.
    lvnmylif

Answer by lvnmylif at 2:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2009