Who wants to help me with a topic???? :) PIOG (With additional Info)

Ok Ladies I'm writing my very first college research paper!!! And after taking a 5 year hiatus from school I'm a little... shall we say 'rough' on the coming up with stellar ideas for a paper.... SO... I have a paper to write for my State and Local Government class. Here is the (as the teacher put it) Question:

Choose a topic/an issue that illustrates Intergovernmental Relations (IGR) and provide in your answer:
1. A general discussion of the topic/issue (Background)
2. A discussion of the topic/issue as it relates to the institutions/agencies involved
3. The reason(s) for the policy/issue and how it is implemented

:) I need a good topic. Something that can really stir things up in my brain. Something a little controversial even since I work well when thinking of arguing a debate. Thanks so much

landensmommy411

Asked by landensmommy411 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Intergovernmental Relations (IGR) means that basically it has to be an issue that affects all 3 branches of the government (National/Federal Govt, State Govt, and Local Govt)
    An example is::
    Welfare; The Federal govt gives so much $ to the States that are REQUIRED to be put into the Welfare program, the State then gives each county (Local Govt) a certain amount to be used based on the need in that county.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• sounds like you have an emotional response to the welfare issue. Write on something you have a strong philosophical response to, even if you think it's basic or simple or obvious. I taught writing and your professor will be more impressed with the clarity and passion of the argument than the topic you pick.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Thank you Ecodani.... The Welfare topic was an example our teacher gave in class not one that I came up with. But I will keep the idea of writing on something philosophical rather than emotionally
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Education. Look at How a Federal act (No child Left behind) has impacted the state and local educational systems. Trace the Dollars spent. How have those dollars spent changed since NCLB was enacted and have those dollars enhanced children's learning as compared to where we are ranked compared to other nations. How much actually goes to the students. Then how much goes to administrative, unions/teachers/etc...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with grlygrlz, or you can talk about smoking ban laws and how it has both negatively and postivily affected business.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 2:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thanks for the ideas... I am still racking my brain as well... These helped get the ball rolling so thanks again.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2009