Voting vs complaining?

How many people who complain about the state of our nation

1. voted
2. voted for local officials
3. Know who is on the school board in the district her child attends

I hear a lot of complaining. A lot of blame on DC officials and DC lobbyists. I know I made a difference on tax reform in the county I live. What happened to working in your community to fix this DC bull crap?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 11:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank You Thank You Thank You!
    The Politics & Current Events category is just a big bitchfest! A lot of whining and not enough participating to fix our nation's issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Hey, I was excited. A guy running for city council here actually went door to door answering questions.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• auroura-- i hope that guy had an impact on your election. that's amazing. you have to have real ideas to answer questions. what a great community you live in!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• me!
    me!
    and me!!

not enough doers, but plenty of naysayers!!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• 1. voted~YES
    2. voted ~ YES,Also Canvassed, and currently volunteer with local politicians and PAC's
    3. Know who is on the school board in the district her child attends~ Know, attend, and am on a first name basis with quite a few. Would love to be on a board someday when we retire from military life and settle down.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I vote in all the elections. I also know who is on the school board. I am part of a committee appointed by our board to study an important issue our school is facing.

I will be running for an office in 2012. I'll keep what it is to myself for now. I am really excited about it though.

PP I liked the door to door idea. That was awesome. I think our local people and even to a degree the state people are more in touch than DC is!

OP, good question. I am still going to gripe about DC on here though. I would be happy to gripe state and local, but we would need to round up enough moms in those areas to make it happen.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You have a great point. My neighbor complains on property taxes all the time and I asked him if he voted on the things that will increase it: expanding the community college est. $89million cost, adding a new high school and two new grade school, and rebuilding two libraries, one that burnt down the other that is just too small and old. Of course, he didn't now our neighborhood property tax exceeds $6k/yr and he had the choice to voted against it and he didn't. I voted for it because I was in those schools and they need expansion, they are too old and way too overcrowded.

And, on here is the same way. Who you vote for locally makes a difference on a federal level as well. My state has 19 reps, and of course two senators, thats 21 people that you vote for most of which are not during a presidential election. Plus, most people don't even know the person on the ballot.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 11:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i think if you dont vote you cant complain...and that goes all the way, not just for the pres. i vote in every election there is IF i know enough to make a decision. its my right & im gonna exercise it!!

however, i dont know much about who is on the school board...my DD is far from school age so i havent gotten involved with that...yet!

great question!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes I do vote, yes I vote in most elections, I have no idea aout the school board b/c I don't have kids in school( my 1st grandchild JUST started kindergarten this year).
    yes I voted for Obama &yes I support him !!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree, if you didn't vote, and aren't informed, keep your trap SHUT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2009