My sister left my baby alone and he fell off the bed!

My son is 9 months old. He has been crawling for a few months now and is very mobile. My younger sister rents a room at our house. She is 21.
Today a little after I ate breakfast I started feeling sick to my stomach and asked her to hold the baby while I used the bathroom. While I was in the bathroom I heard her phone ring and she started talking to someone and then walked out the front door. While she was still outside I heard my son making noise, then a few seconds later I heard a thump and he started screaming. She was walking in at that second and rushed to get him. I hurried up and went to comfort him. She had left him on her bed when she walked out of the house!! He did what any other baby would do and crawled right off the edge. Fortunately he wasn't hurt. Her bed isn't too high off the ground and her room has carpet. Even if she had just left him on the floor and left the house that is still unacceptable to leave him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am, of course, very mad about this. She did feel really bad and apologized, but that still seems like common sense to not leave a crawling baby alone on the bed, or even just alone. My husband is even more upset about this than I am. He says I shouldn't leave her alone with the baby anymore, not even for a minute to use the bathroom. I don't really know what to do. I am upset with her, but I don't think I should never trust her again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• cheez relax! lay off of her seems like an honest mistake she made, invest in a playpen you'll be useing it alot for the next yr!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That was very irresponsible of her. I have had a similar experience with my husbands brother.
    mommymae06

Answer by mommymae06 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It was very irresponsible of her but if she doesn't have kids of her own, she may have never imagined that your baby would crawl off the bed. People without kids just don't think of things like that. I'm so glad that your son wasn't hurt & I really think your DH should focus on that.

You have to have a safe place for your baby when you need a few minutes--whether to use the bathroom or take a dish out of the oven or whatever. That can be a play pen or crib. Agree with your DH & your sister on what the safe place for your baby will be. If he is getting mobile, taking him into the bathroom with you all the time could prove more dangerous than anything!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Although what she did was irresponsible, even a parent can make mistakes. My middle son was just a couple of months old, and in an infant seat. He wasn't crawling yet. I put him in the infant seat in the middle of my bed while I got ready for an appointment. I could see him in the mirror while I put on make-up. , and I was rushing to get ready to go when suddenly I realized that he had managed to shake the infant seat so hard that he had rolled the infant seat over, and it rolled off the bed. He wasn't hurt, but I felt so terrible.

Anyone can make a mistake. I'd talk to her about leaving the baby unattended, and maybe keep a little eye on her, but chances are if she really felt bad, she'll be much more careful from now on.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would make sure you talk to her about how much this worried you. It is a step in the right direction that she did apologize for it. A play pen is a good idea and I don't know that you need to go to such extreme as to never let her be alone left alone with him at all. Now I wouldn't leave him for prolonged amounts of time with her at this point but it will all be ok. I would guess that most kids have fallen off of something through this age range.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 11:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think you can trust her you just need to explain that that type of thing is easy for a baby to do and that they should never be left unattended, which is why you asked her to watch him while you used the potty.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It was a mistake blah blah blah! Whatever! Seriously until she has her own kid she won't "get it"! I would be pissed too. Hope your baby is okay.

just for that I would raise her rent!!!!

(kidding about the rent part btw)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my son had just turned 1 and SO and i wanted to go out for a little. for a little i mean like 45 minutes, to a pub near our house for wings and a beer, which is what we would consider a night out. his sister, 29 years old at the time, who lives in our building, was watching him for us. when we got back, i could hear my son screaming. he was in the pack-n-play, holding a wire hanger, in a totally different room than her, and she was passed out drunk. her and her boyfriend- who has his own kids so you think he would be more responsible. and the worst part is they were sober 45 minutes prior- how much can someone drink in that amount of time and couldnt they hold off til we got back??? i stood a foot in front her, screaming her name and no response. she called us the mext morning and asked where our son was. needless to say, she has never and will never watch him again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• thats really sad, but honestly, its bound to happen at some point in time. relax im sure she feels badly about it and wouldnt purposely bring harm to your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009