I need Help - Pagans please

I am 15. I have been raised by a very controling mother and in a very christian family. I have never felt any comfort or happyness as a christian and have always believed there was something more. While as school I stared to do some research and found some great educational websites about pagans. I bought Teen Witch and love it. It really speaks to me. But my mother found it on one of her room raids and burned it as well as some other stuff I had. She said that if I am going to go to bed with the devil I can't do it in her house. What should I do? I'm not comfortable continueing down a christian road when I belong on a pagan one. I don't want to be that girl that has to lie about her true feelings just to survive... How do I handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many of us had to wait till we were on our own before we could fully embrace who we are. You can meditate and no one will know the wiser. Walk in nature and commune that way. Realize that you are not alone, the Goddess is with you. You don't have to make any grand gestures she is always there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well it's her house, her rules. Whether they are right or wrong. Just follow your heart dear one and be true to yourself. :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yea, you have to follow your Moms rules. I like what the anon said. Meditate when its quiet. You don't need anything just you and quiet. It will calm you and help you feel centered. A lot of what we do revolves around inner peace and balance in nature. Again thats where meditation helps.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry that you have to go through that. My dd is 15 and I couldn't imagine making her to feel that she needs to hide her feelings from me. I was raised Catholic, explored Paganism for a couple years and then went back to the church. My daughter goes to a Catholic school but recently told me she really would like to be Buddhist. I told her that I respect her choice, but why not explore both paths until she's 18 and then decide. It's not that I don't want her to choose what makes her happy, I just want her to make a good decision. It's too bad your mom couldn't have handled things better and just talked to you about it. But like the anon previous poster said, you can always meditate, etc. Spirituality is in your heart so you really don't need anything special to practice it. Follow her rules until you are an adult and out on your own. At that point she won't have any say in what you do.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My heart is breaking and I just want to adopt you.  These lovely ladies have given you some good advice.  Hang in there, it won't be long before you are an adult and can do as you please.

Room raids?  Seriously?  Shakes head.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• don't be so quick to judge the room raids. perhaps somethings have happened within this family that called for a room raid. we don't know. or perhaps her mom is carrie's mom..again, we don't know.
    like a pp said, as long as you are in your paren'ts house, being supported by them, you will have to abide by their rules. does this mean you have to be sincere? heavens, no..God (in this case) knows your heart. you'll just have to wait to be an openly practiclng pagan. if you play your cards right, responsibly work or go to school so you can be out on your own or paying rent yourself, it won't be a long wait.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I can't really add anything either, except my sympathies. As everyone else has said... you are what you are inside. No one can raid the inside of your head and heart. I would echo what anime_mom619 said to her daughter... I don't think it is a bad idea to keep an open mind for Christianity and also explore your pagan roots. I have done both at the same time successfully. I have retained some aspects of Christianity while at the same time acknowledging the Goddess in my heart. I am sorry your mother is so controlling, but remember, her motives are probably good. She is fearful of anything other than what she knows and she is trying to protect you.

God and Goddess bless you and keep you.
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My experience was very close to yours. My mother searched my room at least once a week. She would toss anything she thought was "demonic" which included any clothing or reading material she didn't like. Once she through away my Library books because they were about Salem, which is why I was doing my History Report on... So, I hear you! As these women said, just dont bring it home. Walk with nature, meditate. If you want to continue your studies, do it online or at the library where you aren't bringing it home. Otherwise, wait til you are 18 and leave like I did. I will warn you that my mother and I still would prefer not to talk, so it's not going to be easy, but in my mind leaving her house was the best thing I ever did...

Blessed Be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Know that everything you need is within yourself and it's something your mother can't burn or take away. You are within her jurisdiction until you come of age, but your mind is still your own. Arrange some stones in your yard, so that you can have a place to sit, meditate and commune with the Mother Earth who sustains us all. You now know that you can't have anything physical in your room, but that doesn't mean you can't have it outside. Even if it's a spot under a tree in a lawn chair. Study your beliefs at the local library, if you can get there. Paganism is something that you just are. It's something you live. And no one can take your power unless you GIVE it to them. Mom can try, but she won't succeed. Blessings and best of luck.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you are truly called to walk a Pagan Path, then know that there is no rush. In fact rushing into it will cause more harm than good. Do obey your parents. Honor and respect them enough to know, understand and respect their rules. Please don't ignore the Christian faith out of rebellion. There is much to learn even within that faith. For a faith that has shaped the last 2000 years of history, there is a lot to learn about it. Take a look at the history, the different denominations, doctrine and learn. Learn about other religions. There is so much out there. But if it is a connection to the Gods you seek, simply pray.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009