Im dying, how to tell my 4 year old son?

I have a brain tumor and the doctor told me i have about 2-3 years to live. I dont want to go through the chemo because i want to be there for my son and not have me going through chemo and pretty much watching me die. What should i do???

I want to live life to the fullest. Im videos and tons of pictures for him to remember me by. Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Health

• i am so sorry for you and your son. please remember that new cures are being developed everyday...and keep your faith and hope. teach him all you can and love him with all your might. as the time gets closer, i think you will be more prepared to tell him what you have to about your situation...would chemo resolve the tumor? if so, why dont you give a try?
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• just tell him ur sick and ur going to try ur best to get better by time ur towards the end he'll be older and he will understand better about whats going to happen
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Oh honey I'm so sorry! Check cafe mom for support groups and your hospital might know of some too! I will keep your family in my prayers :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am so sorry. Tell him you are going to Heaven, he will understand later. ((HUGS))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If there's a good chance chemo would get rid of the tumor, do it. It's worth a try if it will help you live your life for many many more years with your son. If the chances are slim, perhaps you could give it a try for a few months and see if any changes occur. If you're against it, just take plenty of pictures and video and make as many good memories as you can! Make scrapbooks as much as you can as well so he'll have those to remember you by. Why not write a journal for him to read when he's older? He'll get to know you and also have something to remember you by. An autobiography of you.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Also, I'll be praying for you and your son. I'm so sorry momma.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Please message me with your email address. I have something for you.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I can't say what I would do if I were you! I would have no right. Find a support group for others in your situation so you can relate. I'm so sad for you! I'll always wonder about this post here or there. God bless.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Please message me. I know alternative ways to cure cancer with a 98% success rate.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree with MommyLee.

Please don't discount chemo, you might be sick and not fully there during it, but if there's a chance it could help you be there in the long run, it would be so worth it! I had some medical stuff going on when my kids were little, and I was being told I was going to die, my kids were 2 and 3, and the thought of them growing up without me was killing me more than the medical stuff. But thanks to God and my Drs, I'm still alive (my kids are now 16 and 15). The treatments make me not be able to be "fully there" sometimes, but I've had SO much more time that I HAVE been able to "be there".

HOWEVER, you know your medical condition better than we do, so you know if there's a chance the chemo could get rid of it or prolong your life in a good way. If not, then I agree with the journals. Also, you can do it in the form of letters for him, sharing with him who you are and what you dreamed for him.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2009