We just found out that our 15 year old has been dealing with life as a 7-10 year old. She is on medication for seizures. She can't keep friends and is having trouble with communication. I'm frustrated.

Rebekah started having seizures when she was 8. We are missionaries to Mexico and have been there for almost 15 years. She ended up with a parisite in the brain which caused the seizure. Her medication is strong therefore put her behind in school. It makes her sleepy and moody. Now she is a teenager and it has made things so hard. I took her to get evaluated to see where she was at as far as growth mentally and found out that basicly she stop growing mentally when she started the meds. I am angry that the doctor did not change the meds. a long time ago. We have a new doc. but damage has been done. My daughter is so brite and she is frustrated that she is not in the grade she shoud be in. She has no friends and I feel for her. I do have her in counseling. Any word of encouragement?

Caroline115

Asked by Caroline115 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Kids are resilient. Now that the meds have been changed, maybe you'll see a difference in her. She'll eventually catch up. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My sister had a grandmal seizure when she was 3. She is now 17 but mentally she is more like 10-12. She gets frustrated with school sometimes and friends but for the most part she has learned to accept it and make it work for her. She may be behind on a lot of things but she is amazing when it comes to being creative. She will always need help with day to day life and she knows it but she is happy with her life anyways. I know that your daughter will learn how to deal with it and make the things she is good at work. I'm sorry that that happened to your daughter. Good Luck and I will keep you in my prayers. =D
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2009