just how often do you think we convict the wrong guy?

it seems to happen a lot on law and order, i cant even imagine being wrongly in jail for one day let alone 10+ years! it's such an injustice if it happens a lot :[

i mean i know on TV a lot of stuff happens but it still makes you think

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 12:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it happens near as often now with all the technology we have behind crime solving at this point. A decade ago, may be different.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• ...sorry not if it happens a lot, if it happens even once its still an injustice!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, it does happen. I don't know how often. My cousin was put in jail for 7 years only to find out at the end of his term, he didn't do it. They had the wrong guy. Talk about ruining someone's life. He lost his wife, kids, house, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• A lot.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• thats so sad :[
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• In the past, yes. My parents have known people wrongfully convicted. Mostly because they fit the profile or knew the victim or didn't have an alibi. Now we have things like DNA, and other evidence that comes from cell phones, gps units, computers. 20 or even 10 years ago most business didnt have cameras or alarm systems, and law enforcement didn't have DNA or fingerprint software or facial recognition software. Everything was done by hand. But, overall wrongful convictions are becoming a thing of the past even though they still happen. And when they do, I know Obama and his minions and czars and ACORN will be to blame, because they are the reason for everything, even stuff that happened before he took office or when he was still in college.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 1:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It doesn't happen that often, but the most likely crime to have a wrongly convicted person is child molesting.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i have been on 2 juries, both of which found the defendent not guilty... not because we didnt think he did it... because teh prosecuter didnt prove to us "beyond a shadow of doubt" that the person did commit the crime.... they simply didnt do that job, and everyone on the jury did agree we would rather a criminal on the street than an innocent man in jail... idk how much it happens now, it doesnt in my experience.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2009